• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Are log tunnels safe?

Hannahb2804

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Recently bought a log tunnel from a pet shop which I saw a lot of people have and I thought it would be good for the piggies, but I’ve heard stories of their feet getting caught? I’ve done my best to take photos of the gaps in them and what the tunnel looks like (they look bigger on the photo I think) but please give me your thoughts on if it would be ok?

Attachments

• 426FE962-0520-48C7-87E9-908FD0311F13.jpeg
    426FE962-0520-48C7-87E9-908FD0311F13.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 37378DF3-B8CE-4E98-BBF0-94999E89B524.jpeg
    37378DF3-B8CE-4E98-BBF0-94999E89B524.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 6
  • F7E644E3-5878-41A8-9547-14684FC428F2.jpeg
    F7E644E3-5878-41A8-9547-14684FC428F2.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 7
Your piggie could potentially get a leg caught if they're using it as a bridge for them to go up. But most piggies don't climb up on them in my experience. You can get ones that look less natural and the logs are more uniform so there's no spaces between them.

I have 2 of them. My piggies love them. In my opinion they are safe. My piggies just hide underneath them. When I first put them in the run my piggies were very suspicious of them and treated the log tunnels like they might eat them! Then the piggies were brave enough to realise that the tunnels were friendlyy. :lol!:

I have 2 of them. My piggies love them. In my opinion they are safe. My piggies just hide underneath them. When I first put them in the run my piggies were very suspicious of them and treated the log tunnels like they might eat them! Then the piggies were brave enough to realise that the tunnels were friendlyy. :lol!:
Piggies are funny creatures aren't they. Lol 😂

Aww that’s so cute 😂 so the basic logs are ok to eat too? They’re the natural ones so they’re all bumpy wanted to make sure they’re ok

Mine have always been used as a tunnel not a bridge so cant comment...but they do have gaps in them that could be a potential hazard..

Mine occasionally use them as a bridge to get my attention and still haven't had any issues. I don't think you can ever completely eliminate risk and freak accidents can happen with anything you put in the piggie cage but I certainly don't think the risk out ways the fun your piggies will have with this one.

I had a young guinea pig who caught his leg in the gaps in one of those, he did like to climb up them and balance on the top though. I stopped using that type and bought the ones without the gaps. None of the piggies I've had since him have tried to climb them.

I just realised the one I bought was for a hamster anyway😅😅ordered the large one for the piggies now lol😂

Mine have these for playpen floor time and none of them have ever been interested in using them for anything except sitting under!
You can never say never with anything you give to piggies (or indeed to goats, cows, horses, bunnies, hamsters, rats, small children...!) but they arent on the list of high risk toys, many of us on the forum have a couple of these and I never heard of an accident with one so far :)

Am I the only one who had a guinea pig that insisted on eating them? Blitzen was a nightmare for it, made all the worse by the fact he clearly wasn't being harmed by it. YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO EAT THEM. He could be a bit stubborn.

Am I the only one who had a guinea pig that insisted on eating them? Blitzen was a nightmare for it, made all the worse by the fact he clearly wasn't being harmed by it. YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO EAT THEM. He could be a bit stubborn.
Velvet used to give them the odd nibble from time to time!

Velvet used to give them the odd nibble from time to time!

Every so often I'd realise that a good chunk of what should be a brown stick was actually more like blonde wood. It was almost like he decided to tear strips off every so often. Never did him any harm and he'd always go back to eating actual food with no problem but dang, of all the things to chew.

Course Comet wouldn't eat the log tunnels, but he ate the seagrass tunnels instead. What a pair.

At least they are approved for eating. My pigs keep eating the orange plastic extendable tunnel they have in their outdoor run 🙄. It gets a cm shorter every time I bring it in 😒

At least they are approved for eating. My pigs keep eating the orange plastic extendable tunnel they have in their outdoor run 🙄. It gets a cm shorter every time I bring it in 😒

Jake ate a plastic bowl overnight once. I refuse to use anything plastic like that in a cage ever since, once was quite enough! (He was fine. I think I was more disturbed by it than he was.)

Jake ate a plastic bowl overnight once. I refuse to use anything plastic like that in a cage ever since, once was quite enough! (He was fine. I think I was more disturbed by it than he was.)
Are you sure he ate it? Could he have just hidden it under his bed or something? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Back