• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Are Pine Products Dangerous?

Piggy996

Junior Guinea Pig
Hello,
someone told me that Pine products can be dangerous for piggies because of the smell, is that true? I wanted to buy a small house for my piggy, but those that I found are made of pine tree. Also, I found something that looks like sand for cats' litter boxes, but this one was made for guinea pigs, rabbits etc, and it also has a light smell of pine tree. Do you think those products can be dangerous?

I copy from Guinea Lynx website (excellent website with a lot of updated news)
Unsuitable Bedding Materials
WARNING:
Cedar Shavings

It is widely believed that cedar shavings negatively affect the health of animals. Reportedly, the phenols (aromatic oils) which so effectively kill insects, harm the respiratory tracts of our pets and may cause liver damage.

Debbie Ducommun has written a good article on the problems associated with bedding mice on pine or cedar (liver and respiratory problems). Both Jeff Johnston and Nathaniel Cook describe the effects of plicatic acid (found in cedar) and abietic acid (found in pine) on the respiratory system.

Marinell Harriman (in consultation with Marliss Geissler, DVM, and Carolynn Harvey, DVM) reported "elevated liver enzymes" in rabbits with pine litter boxes. She theorized that for rabbits, early liver disease may be related to bedding on pine shavings. Read more at Guineapigcages.

Given the availability of better beddings, never use cedar. Choose a safer bedding for your pet instead.

PINE: And if you're using pine, be sure to air the shavings thoroughly and use in a well ventilated cage. Airing the shavings will allow the volatile oils to dissipate.

That is very thorough @rome_italy you've spent along time doing your homework on that one.
absolutely not! I reminded something read about it on that website... I am very interested too of the matter because my kitchen is covered in pine wood and also the furniture is in pine... but its smell is over now after 21 years... I hope it is not dangerous...:(