• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keiko The Pig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi guys, I need some advice. So my recently adopted white baby boar Milo has got a dirty backside. He is an Abby but his fur is on the longer side. I checked thoroughly to make sure the brown stains are indeed from piggy business and not any scratches. So now I must wash him to keep his fur white. I'm in Ontario Canada, so I can't order anything with crazy shipping from the UK does anyone know any products they could recommend to help keep his fur white? Also should I just wash him or also wash my older boars bum as well? My older boar has shorter hair (still Abyssinian though) and is brown so it's hard to tell but he seems pretty clean. I've read the threads on boar bits and bum baths but this is more of the top part of Milo's bum. Any tips? He's also only just over a month old and I noticed the browning a week or so ago and was trying to leave it because baths are stressful but he just keeps getting dirtier!

anyone who has a white haired piggy if you also have any tips on preventing these piggy poo stains that would be greatly appreciated!

So i have 2 piggies with mostly white bums. I don't usually have much trouble keeping their bums clean but give them an occasional bath. When I do bathe them I usually find just warm water and a little rubbing gets it clean. You can by small pet shampoo from petstores I am in the US I have purchase some from Petsmart and ordered some online from Dr Foster and Smith.
If it's really dirty I would be concerned they are getting sick or possibly try different bedding or more frequent bedding changes if that is may be contributing to it.
Maybe some of that helps!

So i have 2 piggies with mostly white bums. I don't usually have much trouble keeping their bums clean but give them an occasional bath. When I do bathe them I usually find just warm water and a little rubbing gets it clean. You can by small pet shampoo from petstores I am in the US I have purchase some from Petsmart and ordered some online from Dr Foster and Smith.
If it's really dirty I would be concerned they are getting sick or possibly try different bedding or more frequent bedding changes if that is may be contributing to it.
Maybe some of that helps!
Thanks I'll try the warm water first! I don't see how it could be the bedding. I use fleece and change it every 3-4 days and I spot clean obsessively because I hate thinking of them running around in their poo! He's a healthy boy, eating lots, drinking well, popcorning, wheeking loudly and there hasn't been any scratching other than the normal type, everyone gets an itch sometimes. I think maybe now that he's getting more confident he is scent marking more and rubbing his butt along their cage! Should I wash my older boar too? If I just use warm water it won't be an issue because it's not a new smell right?

My piggies are shy so bath them together. They are usually so scared they enjoy cowering together as I wash them. Seems like must be a boar thing with marking as I have only girls

My Beans is mostly white and she sometimes has green/yellow stains near her bum because she mostly uses her mouth to scratch herself. I don't bath her unless absolutely necessary because it really stresses her. I just use a damp cloth and warm water to try get rid of any marks on her fur:doh:

My piggies are shy so bath them together. They are usually so scared they enjoy cowering together as I wash them. Seems like must be a boar thing with marking as I have only girls
I've known some female piggies to do it during intense seasons but it really is a male thing. My boys do it everywhere. Whenever I take them out if their blanket has been washed they remark it.

My Beans is mostly white and she sometimes has green/yellow stains near her bum because she mostly uses her mouth to scratch herself. I don't bath her unless absolutely necessary because it really stresses her. I just use a damp cloth and warm water to try get rid of any marks on her fur:doh:
Ah maybe that could be part of it. Milo is an active poo eater unfortunately, and he also uses his mouth to scratch his behind sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back