• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blind in one eye

Three_dolla_min

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So sadly my guinea pig pepper died just last week and now my other two(Precious and Bossy) both are having breathing problems. Eyes were perfectly fine yesterday but today I bring them their veggies and I notice something odd on Bossys eye and at first I only thing it’s a hair that got stuck. So I pull her out and I’m like oh my god her left eye is completely cloudy wirh puss coming out and this weird green thing poking out that is connected to the skin inside her eye, I know it’s not hay because it looks nothing like their hay. I plan to take her to the vet soon but I wanted to see if anyone knew how serious this could be.

Attachments

• DAAFB814-3B45-4211-AB37-35A6CF39ABF9.webp
    DAAFB814-3B45-4211-AB37-35A6CF39ABF9.webp
    76.6 KB · Views: 15
That'll be trip to vets ASAP. Looks like she had something poke her eye. You'll need vet to put special dye in her eye to assess the damage to her cornea as she'll have ulcer forming. Eye conditions are dangerous as if left untreated they'll result in complications and often require eye removal. Only vet can tell you how much damage there is and give correct treatment.
Hope you're better soon. My boy had hay poke and it was horrible. Luckily his eye was back to normal after 3 days on his treatment.

Please try and get an emergency vet appointment for ASAP, only a vet can diagnose injuries like this. Hope she gets better soon.

So sadly my guinea pig pepper died just last week and now my other two(Precious and Bossy) both are having breathing problems. Eyes were perfectly fine yesterday but today I bring them their veggies and I notice something odd on Bossys eye and at first I only thing it’s a hair that got stuck. So I pull her out and I’m like oh my god her left eye is completely cloudy wirh puss coming out and this weird green thing poking out that is connected to the skin inside her eye, I know it’s not hay because it looks nothing like their hay. I plan to take her to the vet soon but I wanted to see if anyone knew how serious this could be.

Hi!

Please have all your piggies seen by a vet ASAP.

It sounds like a bad eye injury plus an infectious respiratory disease making the that could be fatal to even more piggies of yours if left untreated.

That'll be trip to vets ASAP. Looks like she had something poke her eye. You'll need vet to put special dye in her eye to assess the damage to her cornea as she'll have ulcer forming. Eye conditions are dangerous as if left untreated they'll result in complications and often require eye removal. Only vet can tell you how much damage there is and give correct treatment.
Hope you're better soon. My boy had hay poke and it was horrible. Luckily his eye was back to normal after 3 days on his treatment.
I have an appointment set for tomorrow so I hope all goes well

Fantastic news.
Well done for having her seen so quickly and fingers crossed for a speedy recovery from the hay poke.

Hay poke is common and a pain to deal with but not serious.
Pleased to hear the news.
Micah would like to give Bossy some tips on dealing with haypoke.
1. Do not let your slave catch you easily.
2. Close your eye tight shut just as the eye drops are close.
3. Hold out for bribes - his preferred bribe is half a carrot slice.

Hope the eye heals quickly

Back