• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blind pig needs help

Alicepets

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello my name is Alice I have 4 boy Guiana pigs. Shane Dawson.spike.robie and the one who is going blind teddy Some back ground. They are about 1year old I got them from a breeder they are very skittish I have had them for 3 or 4 months when I got them I noticed teddy had blue tinted eyes but never thought anything of it It was a couple of days ago I usually give them there veg every day but I was out with horses as I do horse rideing then the day after I was on a school trip so my mom did it for me I went to give them there veg when I saw teddy eating a carrot but then saw his eye it was white I had a panic attack then picked him up to see his eye closer it’s all white I don’t know what to do I can’t go to the vets ether as there shut for a couple of days I also don’t have the kind of money to have them do anything to him as they charge 50 just to see pets then god knows how much on top for treatment pleas I’m stuck in this stupid situation I wish I could take him I don’t know what to do I will post photos soon and if I don’t respond immediately it’s because my I pad is slow with notifications sorry and thank you for helping 🙁

Hello and welcome to the forum, please take him to the vet ASAP, somebody else will give you better and more detailed advice than me, I don't know too much about eye problems :))

I'm afraid only a vet can diagnose properly and try save poor piggy's eye... its quite urgent you see a vet with an eye injury.

He needs to go to a vet who can diagnose what is wrong.
Your parents are responsible for vet bills if you are still dependent on them

I will take him to the vets when I can I hate not being able to make my own money I will keep u updated it’s just I don’t know how to convince my mother as I have already tried to get her to take him but she won’t as “he is still eating and drinking” i can’t seem to get it into her head that this doesn’t mean it’s ok she says that if we do take him they will ether euthanise him or ramove his eye I can’t see him be in pain but I also can’t let them kill him if I have to do the remove eye route then mabie I could start a go fund me or something like that also pleas don’t hate my mom she has done so much for me it’s just a bad time at the moment Ps I’m dyslexic so sorry for my spelling

Your vet may well give eye drops if you have managed to catch what is wrong in time. My piggies have had eye drops many times. You won't know if you don't see the vet. A vet won't put a healthy animal to sleep if all that is wrong is an eye problem.

ok Sorry if I sound kinda stupid it’s just I love him so much it’s night time hear I will be back tomorrow thanks to all of u❤️

Hope your piggy is ok, piggies don't rely on vision anywhere near as much as people, and lots of forum members have blind or partially sighted piggies who are perfectly happy, so if you get bad news from the vet about the eye your piggy can still lead a long and happy life, it isnt a put to sleep situation usually.

Hello my name is Alice I have 4 boy Guiana pigs. Shane Dawson.spike.robie and the one who is going blind teddy Some back ground. They are about 1year old I got them from a breeder they are very skittish I have had them for 3 or 4 months when I got them I noticed teddy had blue tinted eyes but never thought anything of it It was a couple of days ago I usually give them there veg every day but I was out with horses as I do horse rideing then the day after I was on a school trip so my mom did it for me I went to give them there veg when I saw teddy eating a carrot but then saw his eye it was white I had a panic attack then picked him up to see his eye closer it’s all white I don’t know what to do I can’t go to the vets ether as there shut for a couple of days I also don’t have the kind of money to have them do anything to him as they charge 50 just to see pets then god knows how much on top for treatment pleas I’m stuck in this stupid situation I wish I could take him I don’t know what to do I will post photos soon and if I don’t respond immediately it’s because my I pad is slow with notifications sorry and thank you for helping 🙁

Hi!

Can you please check whether the whiteness is on the inside of the eye (cataract/nuclear sclerosis) or whether it is a film on the surface. In the second case you need to see a vet asap as a surface ulcer is a sign of an eye infection, which can deteriorate very quickly.

In the first case your piggy will have to adapt to living with an eye that can just distinguish between light and dark. Thankfully sight is not the strongest sense in guinea pigs (unlike humans). Once the other senses have learned to compensate, a cataract piggy can lead a perfectly normal life,including free roaming and shallow ramps that are covered with a scent retaining material.

I've had and still have a number of cataract piggies, including a dedicated cataract group at some point. Early onset cataracts are called congenital cataracts, as a piggy is born with the genetic disposition to develop them. They are much rarer than old age cataracts, but any type can develop very quickly. Often the second eye will follow in a matter of weeks or months. Cataracts in guinea pigs are not operable. The trickiest stage is the transition phase, especially with sudden onset cataracts/nuclear sclerosis.

Please have your piggy's eyes vet checked in any case. But a cataract with a clear eye surface can wait until regular opening hours next week.

I had a blind piggy. My Merab was blind with cataracts for the last years of her life. She coped perfectly well using her other senses.
As has been said a vet now could prove cheaper than leaving it too late if cost is your mother’s issue

We are going to phone the vets tomorrow as they are shut today again. I just cleaned them out and saw that his eye is more blue and not as bad as it was yesterday I know it’s still bad hear is some photos sorry they aren’t that clear he was very hiper as usaual so good to see him still acting the same I guess. P.s i can’t thank you guys enough

Attachments

• 15287B2A-BE77-48A2-B1F5-51D12426D765.jpeg
    15287B2A-BE77-48A2-B1F5-51D12426D765.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 45EA5A7B-F0B9-4C3B-9B9E-7F393D555415.jpeg
    45EA5A7B-F0B9-4C3B-9B9E-7F393D555415.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 16
  • 5E2F2A56-2D8B-4BD7-B4AD-5C6D5A8BCBC0.jpeg
    5E2F2A56-2D8B-4BD7-B4AD-5C6D5A8BCBC0.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 16
It sounds like there might have been an eye injury which is very common. The eyes are very delicate so I would recommend a vet asap as they are highly treatable when caught nice and early.

Back