• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bloating :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggiemum7

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ben has been eating drinking fine and having normal bodily functions up until this morning. I counted 13 poos in his cage from last night and since then there's only been about 3! Took him to the vet who felt around and said he felt some sort of lump or blockage (I think it's a hardened poo, he says tumor or infection of some sort) he wasn't overly optimistic and didn't even suggest trying a gut stimulant. Gave me the option of opening him up and looking around for a blockage or PTS. I thought it was a bit over the top and asked to try gut stimulant so he had an injection of metoclpormide and we have just administered second dose orally. He has one more to go at about 4am. No poos so far only tiny hardened ones I have managed to help him squeeze out but I think they were old as he has had impactions before. He's not eaten today other than a spinach leaf and the syringe feed I have given him. He's still bright and moving about but very bloated and has an extremely loud rumbling stomach. I don't know what to do to help him. He's on a heat pad and we are using a vibrating massager on his stomach. Any help would be really appreciated I don't want to lose him :(

@helen105281, @Wiebke, @abi

I think your post may have fell under the radar so sorry your little one is so poorly. I don't have any further suggestions than what you are already doing. I have tagged some experienced members who may also have some advice.

Ben has been eating drinking fine and having normal bodily functions up until this morning. I counted 13 poos in his cage from last night and since then there's only been about 3! Took him to the vet who felt around and said he felt some sort of lump or blockage (I think it's a hardened poo, he says tumor or infection of some sort) he wasn't overly optimistic and didn't even suggest trying a gut stimulant. Gave me the option of opening him up and looking around for a blockage or PTS. I thought it was a bit over the top and asked to try gut stimulant so he had an injection of metoclpormide and we have just administered second dose orally. He has one more to go at about 4am. No poos so far only tiny hardened ones I have managed to help him squeeze out but I think they were old as he has had impactions before. He's not eaten today other than a spinach leaf and the syringe feed I have given him. He's still bright and moving about but very bloated and has an extremely loud rumbling stomach. I don't know what to do to help him. He's on a heat pad and we are using a vibrating massager on his stomach. Any help would be really appreciated I don't want to lose him :(

Please keep on syringe feeding and watering as long as he takes it and is not too apathetic.

Can you see another vet for gut stimulant (emeprid or metoclopramide); zantac/ranitidine for the bloating and metacam for the pain? Could a vet do a scan to see whether it is gas or a firm blockage, so you can make an informed decision? As long as he is still active and bright, then it is worth trying to get to the bottom of it.

I have little advise too but I would have thought an x ray / scan would be a good idea to check for excess gas / blockages before making any drastic decisions :(

All the best for your boy xx

Thanks everyone for your advice. Took him to different vet today who said she couldn't feel any blockages but was reluctant to do any scans or x rays as there was no point. She said as he's been really poorly for the last month or so there's not much point trying to help him basically. He's still not pooed at all. I have syringe fed and given him some mashed banana,weetabix and cranberry juice and he just had some metacam. I've got some ranitidine leftover from before. Do you think I should give him some? He's had a little wee but nothing from his back end and I'm worried feeding him too much will block him up more. He's started to grind his teeth which I've been told means he's in pain :( I don't want him to suffer but I'm not ready to give up yet

Thanks everyone for your advice. Took him to different vet today who said she couldn't feel any blockages but was reluctant to do any scans or x rays as there was no point. She said as he's been really poorly for the last month or so there's not much point trying to help him basically. He's still not pooed at all. I have syringe fed and given him some mashed banana,weetabix and cranberry juice and he just had some metacam. I've got some ranitidine leftover from before. Do you think I should give him some? He's had a little wee but nothing from his back end and I'm worried feeding him too much will block him up more. He's started to grind his teeth which I've been told means he's in pain :( I don't want him to suffer but I'm not ready to give up yet

You can try ranitidine and PLEASE give him painkiller! Did the second vet give you any? If you haven't, and if no vet will give you any, then please weigh up carefully his quality of life against your wish to keep him going. Sometimes there are sadly some very tough decisions we have to make. I have lost guinea pigs of my own to severe bloat and pain issues, so I feel for you.

Please stay off any grain products, especially with guinea pigs with digestive issues; it can make them worse. Just keep with the syringe feed and plenty of water. Cranberry juice is also rather harsh on a sensitive tummy.

You can try ranitidine and PLEASE give him painkiller! Did the second vet give you any? If you haven't, and if no vet will give you any, then please weigh up carefully his quality of life against your wish to keep him going. Sometimes there are sadly some very tough decisions we have to make. I have lost guinea pigs of my own to severe bloat and pain issues, so I feel for you.

Please stay off any grain products, especially with guinea pigs with digestive issues; it can make them worse. Just keep with the syringe feed and plenty of water. Cranberry juice is also rather harsh on a sensitive tummy.

He has had metacam now so waiting for that to kick in. I was advised by the lady who runs our guinea pig boarding to give him the weetabix and cranberry as she said she has used it to help hers in the past. Getting lots of different advice from different places it's confusing :( I'll try him with ranitidine

Can I give ranitidine if he had metoclopramide (don't remember how to spell) at 3pm-10pm-4am yesterday

Still no poo :( hasn't weed since yesterday evening either :( been syringe feeding and watering but worried that this will make the bloating worse? His belly is very enlarged and sloshy. Other than that he's running around and acting normally. Still not eating or drinking by himself though :/

Are you able to speak to your vet today? I think an xray would be a good idea, I know they originally said no, but if there is still no poo it may help. Does he seem in pain?

Are you able to speak to your vet today? I think an xray would be a good idea, I know they originally said no, but if there is still no poo it may help. Does he seem in pain?
I might call and book him in for one. The problem is they aren't very good with timing and keep him in all day before xray, can't bare to think of him by himself without cuddles all day in a scary place. He doesn't seem in pain at all today and just managed a tiny drop of wee. Just wish there was somewhere nearby I could take him for an instant X-ray and proper knowledgable vet :/

hi.i went to a vet in st ives,who was very good with piggies,but I'm not sure where in cornwall you are,it mayb too far.you can give ranitidine ,its a different drug to metoclopromide,it prevents acid,and ulcers.i had Jerry beginning of this week with bloat,he has come through ok.just fed critical care,water and probiotics,within 12 hours of ranitidine Jerry passed lots of feaces,and his pregnant look went.I'm letting eat hay and water,syringe feeding inbteween.try to get to a cavy savvy vet if at all possible,so you can make an informed decision.sorry your piggie is poorly,really hope you can get an xray.hugs to you.

hi.i went to a vet in st ives,who was very good with piggies,but I'm not sure where in cornwall you are,it mayb too far.you can give ranitidine ,its a different drug to metoclopromide,it prevents acid,and ulcers.i had Jerry beginning of this week with bloat,he has come through ok.just fed critical care,water and probiotics,within 12 hours of ranitidine Jerry passed lots of feaces,and his pregnant look went.I'm letting eat hay and water,syringe feeding inbteween.try to get to a cavy savvy vet if at all possible,so you can make an informed decision.sorry your piggie is poorly,really hope you can get an xray.hugs to you.
Aww thank you for your help! St Ives isn't too far. Do you remember the name of the practice? We recently lots our guinea pig also called Jerry (Ben and jerry like the ice cream) x

Just letting everyone know Ben had to be PTS it was unfair to keep him going as he was so uncomfortable. He's playing with Jerry, Butch and George now at the rainbow bridge x

his name was stephen,it was at the top of the town,near where the swimming baths and car parks are.i have a friend who lives there,he was exceptional.I'm very sorry for your loss.hugs to you.xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back