• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blood from privates

EllieHawkins

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey guys. Been awhile, I haven’t posted in a long time and I forget how amazing and helpful this forum is!
I have a piggy bleeding from her privates, she went to the vets and was on antibiotics for 5 days, it seemed to stop but it’s started coming back so unsure if she needs a long course of antibiotics or could be something else? She’s booked in tomorrow again! I did suggest a scan in case of stones or the multiple things it could be. Any advice or tips would be useful to me

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Good that you have her booked in at the vets. It could just be that she needs a longer course of antibiotics as 5 days isn’t a lot. If it’s not a urine infection, it could be bladder stones although I would expect her to be in quite a lot of pain or a problem with the reproductive system so a scan would be the way forward if the antibiotics don’t help x

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Been awhile, I haven’t posted in a long time and I forget how amazing and helpful this forum is!
I have a piggy bleeding from her privates, she went to the vets and was on antibiotics for 5 days, it seemed to stop but it’s started coming back so unsure if she needs a long course of antibiotics or could be something else? She’s booked in tomorrow again! I did suggest a scan in case of stones or the multiple things it could be. Any advice or tips would be useful to me
Hi!

Can you please clarify whether this is sheer blood or red coloured urine that you are dealing with?

Intensely red stained urine (porphyrine) is usually a symptom of a bacterial urine infection (UTI), a bacterial cystitis (often as a result of bladder stone damage to the bladder walls) or a non-bacterial recurring bladder infection (i.e. a sterile interstitial cystitis or sterile IC). The latter has become a lot more common over the last decade but is not well known outside vets who see a lot of piggies. However, a 5 day course of antibiotics is too short by any means to get on top of an infection.

If you are seeing sheer blood, then you are dealing most likely with either a stone stuck somewhere (very often the urethra) or a bleeding ovarian cyst, which can be a symptom of it going cancerous. Make sure that your vet is looking at both the urinary and the reproductive tract with a scan or x-ray. Any sheer blood from the genitals always needs to be carefully investigated, as needs any infection that is not reacting to antibiotics. Sterile IC can usually only be diagnosed by default once all other potential issues have been excluded because it cannot be healed, only managed.

We will help you with tips as to how this is best done but right now you are still only at the start of working what is going on.