• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blood from privates

EllieHawkins

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey guys. Been awhile, I haven’t posted in a long time and I forget how amazing and helpful this forum is!
I have a piggy bleeding from her privates, she went to the vets and was on antibiotics for 5 days, it seemed to stop but it’s started coming back so unsure if she needs a long course of antibiotics or could be something else? She’s booked in tomorrow again! I did suggest a scan in case of stones or the multiple things it could be. Any advice or tips would be useful to me

Good that you have her booked in at the vets. It could just be that she needs a longer course of antibiotics as 5 days isn’t a lot. If it’s not a urine infection, it could be bladder stones although I would expect her to be in quite a lot of pain or a problem with the reproductive system so a scan would be the way forward if the antibiotics don’t help x

Hey guys. Been awhile, I haven’t posted in a long time and I forget how amazing and helpful this forum is!
I have a piggy bleeding from her privates, she went to the vets and was on antibiotics for 5 days, it seemed to stop but it’s started coming back so unsure if she needs a long course of antibiotics or could be something else? She’s booked in tomorrow again! I did suggest a scan in case of stones or the multiple things it could be. Any advice or tips would be useful to me

Hi!

Can you please clarify whether this is sheer blood or red coloured urine that you are dealing with?

Intensely red stained urine (porphyrine) is usually a symptom of a bacterial urine infection (UTI), a bacterial cystitis (often as a result of bladder stone damage to the bladder walls) or a non-bacterial recurring bladder infection (i.e. a sterile interstitial cystitis or sterile IC). The latter has become a lot more common over the last decade but is not well known outside vets who see a lot of piggies. However, a 5 day course of antibiotics is too short by any means to get on top of an infection.

If you are seeing sheer blood, then you are dealing most likely with either a stone stuck somewhere (very often the urethra) or a bleeding ovarian cyst, which can be a symptom of it going cancerous. Make sure that your vet is looking at both the urinary and the reproductive tract with a scan or x-ray. Any sheer blood from the genitals always needs to be carefully investigated, as needs any infection that is not reacting to antibiotics. Sterile IC can usually only be diagnosed by default once all other potential issues have been excluded because it cannot be healed, only managed.

We will help you with tips as to how this is best done but right now you are still only at the start of working what is going on.

So sorry I never got any emails of a reply! She just got out of surgery yesterday. Vets found a lump in her uterus they believe was a tumour. They’ve spayed her and she’s recovering well so far. It was more smears of blood rather than blood inside the pee. She was still healthy as anything during it but looks like they’ve found the problems and she’s on the mend!

She’d had a scan and that’s what they found as I said above. They took her straight into surgery while she was still under for the x ray. Thank you everyone for your tips ❤️Need to look into why I got no notifications

She’d had a scan and that’s what they found as I said above. They took her straight into surgery while she was still under for the x ray. Thank you everyone for your tips ❤Need to look into why I got no notifications

I am very sorry, but glad that your vet found the cause and that the emergency spay has gone well. My Cariad needed one after her own womb was found to be grossly enlarged, fluid filled, borderline pyometric (infected) and it also contained a most likely cancerous lump. She made a perfect recovery, considering that she was only 700g.

Sheer bleeding from the genitals is most often a symptom of cancer in the reproductive tract in sows, so good that you have acted promptly and have bought your girl more time to have a happy life.

Very sorry that the email alerts have not worked. Always have a look on here to make sure whether you have got any replies. The alert system is sometimes a bit temperamental when things are bounced around between servers. We do try to do our best to make sure that we answer all threads within a day or sooner.

Wishing your girl a good recovery!
Tips For Post-operative Care

Is it normal after a spay that she still had blood around her vulva area? Guessing with that op it could cause that?

Is it normal after a spay that she still had blood around her vulva area? Guessing with that op it could cause that?

It can happen in the first day or two (although normally it doesn't) after the op but contact a vet if you have any concerns.

Thanks I will! She’s on white bobble bath mats so I can keep an eye. She’s going in for a post op check up on Monday/Tuesday when I’m free from work

Thanks I will! She’s on white bobble bath mats so I can keep an eye. She’s going in for a post op check up on Monday/Tuesday when I’m free from work

All the best! How long post-op is she now? After day 2 the healing process gets underway very quickly.

Back