• Halloween themed fun Photo Competition Out-takes Click here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blood In Urine

GirlFromMars

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jun 16, 2017
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Points
150
Location
West Yorkshire
Hi, I've been reading this forum for a while and have found lots of useful information (thank you!) but I've finally made an account because I'm worried about one of my boys!

We adopted him and his friend (both three years old) back in February And last week we found some blood spots in the cage. Once we figured out which one had the problem, we took them both to the vet and were given Sulfatrim which we have been giving twice a day since Saturday evening. He's also on Pro-C probiotic.

At first, his symptoms seemed to clear up really quickly and we had no blood for almost two days (we fed them on blankets on the sofa so we could monitor their pee but all was clear).

Since then, we've found blood most days. There's definitely less of it than there was last week but it's still there and he's still passing visible clots (as opposed to just red urine). It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all - there seems to be no discomfort when he pees and he's definitely not off his food etc. We've also seen him do clear wees along the way so we know it's not every time he 'goes'.

I guess I was wondering - is it normal for antibiotics to take almost a week to kick in if it's 'just' an infection? And how likely is it to be something more (stones etc.) if he doesn't seem to be in pain? We have another appointment with the vet tomorrow anyway - I was just hoping for some thoughts/experiences from some more experienced owners than myself.

I'll be honest - money is a bit tight this month and I'm dreading having to pay for more treatment. This consultation and course of antibiotics only cost us around £25 which we were pretty pleased with, I know it varies widely but any hint as to what price we'll be looking at if it does come to scans and even an op?

Thank you!
 

Wiebke

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
67,436
Reaction score
34,592
Points
3,466
Location
Coventry UK
Hi, I've been reading this forum for a while and have found lots of useful information (thank you!) but I've finally made an account because I'm worried about one of my boys!

We adopted him and his friend (both three years old) back in February And last week we found some blood spots in the cage. Once we figured out which one had the problem, we took them both to the vet and were given Sulfatrim which we have been giving twice a day since Saturday evening. He's also on Pro-C probiotic.

At first, his symptoms seemed to clear up really quickly and we had no blood for almost two days (we fed them on blankets on the sofa so we could monitor their pee but all was clear).

Since then, we've found blood most days. There's definitely less of it than there was last week but it's still there and he's still passing visible clots (as opposed to just red urine). It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all - there seems to be no discomfort when he pees and he's definitely not off his food etc. We've also seen him do clear wees along the way so we know it's not every time he 'goes'.

I guess I was wondering - is it normal for antibiotics to take almost a week to kick in if it's 'just' an infection? And how likely is it to be something more (stones etc.) if he doesn't seem to be in pain? We have another appointment with the vet tomorrow anyway - I was just hoping for some thoughts/experiences from some more experienced owners than myself.

I'll be honest - money is a bit tight this month and I'm dreading having to pay for more treatment. This consultation and course of antibiotics only cost us around £25 which we were pretty pleased with, I know it varies widely but any hint as to what price we'll be looking at if it does come to scans and even an op?

Thank you!
Hi and welcome

As you have done, I would recommend to see a vet if symptoms do not clear in a week to make sure that it is not a stone/sludge; a piggy does not necessarily show pain even if it has them - that usually only happens with the really bad ones that cause major pain where they are located in the urinary tract and also their size. A scan or x-ray should bring clarity on that point, but it is not the cheapest. Unfortunately, stones or sludge will not go away on their own; they will get only worse. :(

The other thing you may be dealing with is interstitial cystitis (inflammation of the bladder walls), which also presents with the same symptoms. It is becoming more frequent, but does not react much to antibiotics. There is currently no cure/treatment for IC as we do not know what is it and what is causing it, so we are left to address the symptoms during an acute phase mainly with an anti-inflammatory like metacam, diet and a glucosamine based food supplement to support the natural glucosamine coating of the bladder walls. IC will disappear eventually on its own after months or more likely years. It is also so far only a default diagnosis after all other urinary tract problems have been excluded.

All the best! Please keep us updated, so can help you with any care and diet tips if they are needed.
 

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2019/20
Joined
Dec 23, 2013
Messages
11,977
Reaction score
13,235
Points
2,125
Location
South Yorkshire, UK 🇬🇧
Firstly, welcome to the forum.

I sympathise with money being tight - but am sure that you will want this properly diagnosed and the correct treatment started.

Personally, I think the antibiotics would have kicked in by now so, it is good you have a review arranged. Blood in urine can be the result of a few things including...

.. Infection
.. Bladder stones
.. Sterile Interstitial Cystitis

Your vet will discuss what further investigations when they review.

(posted at same time as Wiebke)
 

GirlFromMars

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jun 16, 2017
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Points
150
Location
West Yorkshire
Thank you both for your replies!

The vet did mention an ultrasound if things didn't improve so I guess that will happen tomorrow and we'll go from there.

I had heard IC mentioned when I was doing some research but couldn't find much about it - maybe because not much is known! That'll be something to look into if we can't find anything else.

I sympathise with money being tight - but am sure that you will want this properly diagnosed and the correct treatment started.
Yes, of course! It just could have come at a better time (But isn't that always the case? Lol)
 

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2019/20
Joined
Dec 23, 2013
Messages
11,977
Reaction score
13,235
Points
2,125
Location
South Yorkshire, UK 🇬🇧
Keep us posted :)

I have a boar with IC - and a few other members have piggies with IC so, we can talk a bit more about this if your guinea is diagnosed with IC
 

Wiebke

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
67,436
Reaction score
34,592
Points
3,466
Location
Coventry UK
I've had IC piggies as well - and some of them lived past it with never a urinary tract problem again for several years. You will find that a number of our members have experiences.

When presented with blood in urine, a vet will initially treat for UTI (bacterial urine infection) as the most common urinary tract issue. If symptoms and/or pain do not subside or return soon after the end of the course of antibiotics, then the next step is a scan or x-ray for stones or sludge. Only when all possibilities have been eliminated will a vet look further. It can take a month on septrin to fully clear a UTI, but blood and any acute symptoms should have mostly gone by the end of the first week.
 

GirlFromMars

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jun 16, 2017
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Points
150
Location
West Yorkshire
Hi

Patrick has had his appointment today, unfortunately I didn't get out of work as early as I'd hoped so my boyfriend had to take him on his own.

We had a different vet this time who actually has a guinea pig with cystitis herself. After having a good feel of his bladder and looking at the photos we'd taken of the blood, She was fairly confident he doesn't have stones and has prescribed us some Metacam. (If I'd been there I'd have probably pushed for a scan anyway but she didn't seem to think it was necessary at this point.)

We have a follow-up appointment booked on Friday so hopefully we will see some improvement by then!
 

Wiebke

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
67,436
Reaction score
34,592
Points
3,466
Location
Coventry UK
Hi

Patrick has had his appointment today, unfortunately I didn't get out of work as early as I'd hoped so my boyfriend had to take him on his own.

We had a different vet this time who actually has a guinea pig with cystitis herself. After having a good feel of his bladder and looking at the photos we'd taken of the blood, She was fairly confident he doesn't have stones and has prescribed us some Metacam. (If I'd been there I'd have probably pushed for a scan anyway but she didn't seem to think it was necessary at this point.)

We have a follow-up appointment booked on Friday so hopefully we will see some improvement by then!
All the best!

A good vet can feel the bladder as to whether it is soft and relaxed, or is hard, tight with thickened walls from irritation/damage or a larger stone.
 

GirlFromMars

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jun 16, 2017
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Points
150
Location
West Yorkshire
Just a quick update:


Pleased to say we have had no blood from this little one since Monday night. The vet gave him a final check over this evening and is very happy with his recovery. We're going to finish off the last little bit of Metacam and keep an eye on him for now. Hopefully it'll just be a one-off!

Glad we haven't had to go down the line of scans and surgery!

Thanks for your help :)
 

GirlFromMars

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jun 16, 2017
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Points
150
Location
West Yorkshire
Another little update:

A few nights ago, we noticed some more blood spots in the cage so we went to the vets the next day and got another dose of Metacam. He also had an ultrasound this morning and although his bladder is very inflamed, there are definitely no tumours or stones present! Apparently there is a tiny bit of sludge but nothing that should be causing any problems. The vet has given us full bottle of Metacam and has advised we continue giving him that for four weeks and keep the rest for any future flare-ups.

We're trying to be a bit more careful with his diet (I think sometimes we're a bit over-generous with the veggies :)) so we're going to try the IC diet for a while and see how they like it). I've also been looking into some lower calcium pellets but they don't always finish what they're given so I'm not sure how much of a problem they are! I'm also thinking of getting some Cystease to try and keep it under control.

Hopefully this longer Metacam course will get it cleared up! Just glad there isn't any more serious problems :)
 

Wiebke

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
67,436
Reaction score
34,592
Points
3,466
Location
Coventry UK
Another little update:

A few nights ago, we noticed some more blood spots in the cage so we went to the vets the next day and got another dose of Metacam. He also had an ultrasound this morning and although his bladder is very inflamed, there are definitely no tumours or stones present! Apparently there is a tiny bit of sludge but nothing that should be causing any problems. The vet has given us full bottle of Metacam and has advised we continue giving him that for four weeks and keep the rest for any future flare-ups.

We're trying to be a bit more careful with his diet (I think sometimes we're a bit over-generous with the veggies :)) so we're going to try the IC diet for a while and see how they like it). I've also been looking into some lower calcium pellets but they don't always finish what they're given so I'm not sure how much of a problem they are! I'm also thinking of getting some Cystease to try and keep it under control.

Hopefully this longer Metacam course will get it cleared up! Just glad there isn't any more serious problems :)
Please get some cystease and stay off any root veg, lettuce, green grass and grains (including in pellets, or feed only very few pellets). Filter the water to keep the sludge down.
 

GirlFromMars

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jun 16, 2017
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Points
150
Location
West Yorkshire
We've already stopped feeding lettuce and they never had much grass or root veg anyway (apart from the occasional carrot).

I'm going to order some Cystease - should I wait until he's finished the course of Metacam or is it best to start straight away?

And are there any particular brands of pellets you would recommend? They're on Harrington's at the minute. I've looked at JR Farms but they seem to have quite mixed reviews.

We live in a quite soft water area but I'll get them a cheap water filter anyway - you can get the ones that fit on the end of the tap for just a few quid on eBay!

Thank you!
 

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2019/20
Joined
Dec 23, 2013
Messages
11,977
Reaction score
13,235
Points
2,125
Location
South Yorkshire, UK 🇬🇧
We've already stopped feeding lettuce and they never had much grass or root veg anyway (apart from the occasional carrot).

I'm going to order some Cystease - should I wait until he's finished the course of Metacam or is it best to start straight away?

And are there any particular brands of pellets you would recommend? They're on Harrington's at the minute. I've looked at JR Farms but they seem to have quite mixed reviews.

We live in a quite soft water area but I'll get them a cheap water filter anyway - you can get the ones that fit on the end of the tap for just a few quid on eBay!

Thank you!
your guinea can have cystease and metacam at the same time - so , I advise you aim to start cystease straight away,
 
Top