• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blood On The Fleece - Baffled!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamFrench

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two soon to be 7 month old girls. The little one is always bouncy and full of courage but the big one is typically more reserved, let's the little one test the waters before committing to anything.

They had a bit of a disagreement a couple of weeks ago which sounded horrible but no blood or fur and seemed to be over rather quickly. Then back to cuddles so just took it as a slight disagreement.

When cleaning their home yesterday I found a few small blood patches, smeared onto the fleece. Checked both over to find no cuts or sores. The blood has transfered to the fleece by rubbing or stepping across it, as it's actually on top of the fleece. There is no wee near the blood. Their wee looks fine. I've checked this morning and there's no more.

So confused. Personality wise they do not seem ill, they are eating loads as usual, still cuddling, not drinking much but never have to be honest.

TAN

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Could just be someone had a small spotting when they were in season - you could get out each pig individually and pop them on a white towel and feed a big piece of cucumber so when she wees you can see if it is pink at all - thats the only way of telling at the moment which one of them it could be if you dont hear any squeeking when weeing.This is what you will need to do if you ever have to get a urine sample for your vet - but you would pop piggy in a clean washing up bowl or similar and then syringe up the urine - suggest popping in to your vets to pick up some plastic syringe and wee pots for your piggy first aid kit.

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
:agr: with Tan - BUT - just to make sure we've covered everything - have you fed them tomatoes , strawberries or red peppers recently? I had a bit of a shock yesterday when spot cleaning - I saw a red patch but then remembered that Bess had been eating a tomato there the day before . I then noticed a pip and am as sure as I can be it was tomato residue.

AdamFrench

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:agr: with Tan - BUT - just to make sure we've covered everything - have you fed them tomatoes , strawberries or red peppers recently? I had a bit of a shock yesterday when spot cleaning - I saw a red patch but then remembered that Bess had been eating a tomato there the day before . I then noticed a pip and am as sure as I can be it was tomato residue.
They have both had tomatoes yesterday no other red vegis but it's a darker red than tomatoes and it's a smeared patch. It's defo not tomato like i was hoping. I'm pretty certain it's blood.

I'll keep watch. As I say personalities haven't changed nor eating habits, both increasing in size steadily.

Thanks for comments :)

AdamFrench

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Could just be someone had a small spotting when they were in season - you could get out each pig individually and pop them on a white towel and feed a big piece of cucumber so when she wees you can see if it is pink at all - thats the only way of telling at the moment which one of them it could be if you dont hear any squeeking when weeing.This is what you will need to do if you ever have to get a urine sample for your vet - but you would pop piggy in a clean washing up bowl or similar and then syringe up the urine - suggest popping in to your vets to pick up some plastic syringe and wee pots for your piggy first aid kit.
Thanks very much, just going to keep a close eye and if it continues and I can't distinguish which one, it's a trip to the vets for us all haha. What's the point in money if the animal's aren't happy anyway

Adelle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Keeping them out on a white towel until they wee as mentioned is a good idea- sometimes when a piggy has blood in the urine from a UTI or other cause, the blood can drip first as the urine starts then the urine runs clear. This was the case with one of my sows.

UTI's can be treated with a course of antibiotics, so dont panic if this is the case.

All the best x

AdamFrench

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Keeping them out on a white towel until they wee as mentioned is a good idea- sometimes when a piggy has blood in the urine from a UTI or other cause, the blood can drip first as the urine starts then the urine runs clear. This was the case with one of my sows.

UTI's can be treated with a course of antibiotics, so dont panic if this is the case.

All the best x
Thanks for your reply, I saw blood and freaked out. Barely slept last night with worry.

Adelle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, I saw blood and freaked out. Barely slept last night with worry.
Just shows you are a concerned piggy owner! You have checked them thoroughly for cuts or grazes, so Try the towel idea- any blood spots/colouring in any of the pigs urine, pop them over to the vet for some antibiotics. UTI's are generally easily treated, and most piggies are neither up nor down with them :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.