Boars mounting each other

Thebubbypiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have to boars together and they are constantly mounting each other. Mostly one more than the other. I know this is normal behaviour but they do it every day. They don’t show any signs of cuts or bites, so they aren’t violent with each other. They’re also in a 3x4 so the size isn’t to small either. Any idea if this is normal or if something need to change ? Also often after they will sleep next to each other like nothing has happened...
Thank you!

Reenie

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It's perfectly normal. It's very mild dominance behaviour, and since neither is being bullied or can't get peace from the other to the point he is getting distressed, then there's no need to worry.
What age are your boys? Between about 4 months and 14 months they will be especially expressing dominance - a bit like teenage human boys strutting their stuff because they're full of testosterone and want to show that they're big men now. They'll probably always do it to some extent, but the teenage years are the worst.
As I said, so long as no one is getting hurt or being made miserable, just enjoy watching their antics.

Thebubbypiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's perfectly normal. It's very mild dominance behaviour, and since neither is being bullied or can't get peace from the other to the point he is getting distressed, then there's no need to worry.
What age are your boys? Between about 4 months and 14 months they will be especially expressing dominance - a bit like teenage human boys strutting their stuff because they're full of testosterone and want to show that they're big men now. They'll probably always do it to some extent, but the teenage years are the worst.
As I said, so long as no one is getting hurt or being made miserable, just enjoy watching their antics.
Hey! Thanks for a quick answer:)
They’re 1 & 2 but turning 2 & 3 this years. The dates are unknown. But it isn’t like the youngest is in a young age and is in that time were he is acting out. It is actually the oldest doing all or most of the mounting. The younger / Ludvig often just lay down and do nothing.. but sometimes the older just keeps mounting. I’m watching them closely and checking them for any signs of violence at least once a week (their Health check) and if I hear it is a lot of it.
Again thanks!

Minnieandpebbs

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes it's all normal and I totally agree with the above comment about the ages - it is just about the guinea pig dominance. As long as there is no sign of biting scratch or blood then it is completely fine! :tu: