Bonding three piggies

pipjb

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi we've had a bit of a traumatic week and gone from 3 piggies to 1 piggie (unrelated issues), my piggy seems to be ok for now (eating well and quite active). I'm very apprehensive about getting another piggy but I can't bare ours to be alone. Our local (fantastic) piggy sanctuary doesn't have any available at the moment and all the pet stores (boo!) only have boars. I just can't bare for my little one to be alone.

A college of my husband's has three piggies and has offered two to us (one she has sold to another single sow) I've had piggies from a breeder (terrible mistake) and from a rescue centre before. The sows are 12 weeks old (selling because of an allergy) and bonded and my sow is eight months old.

Do you think it would be ok to take these piggies and introducing them to my sow if they are bonded? Would it make it harder or easier to bond? I have two cages if it would be better to keep them next to each other initially (we did this with our previous piggy) but I'm worried about how long my piggy will end up being alone for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Firstly sorry for your loss. It's harder for us as owners to get over that loss than their friends.

It's up to you whether you take them on. Bonding a pair won't make it harder or easier. At that age social interaction is more important than anything. But as they're in a pair, you will have to quarantine them for 2 weeks - in a separate room - before you introduce them to your sow. That's to prevent the chance of their passing on any illnesses. How did the colleague come to have the three sows? And are they definitely both sows? If you do take them on, I would also book them in for a vet check a week after they've been with you.

When you introduce them, it has to be in a neutral area where no piggy has been. Only a pile of hay in the middle and you can give them veg at the time you'd normally feed them. Leave them in the bonding pen for some hours. If they seem to be getting on then you can thoroughly clean and rearrange the cage they'll be living in.

Space for 3 is 180x60cm or a 2x5 c&c. Be aware that sometimes a trio can end up with on being 'left out' so to speak. Have a read of the guides I'm linking below.
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Importance Of Quarantine

pipjb

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice, I have to admit I had only thought about having them in separate cages (so they could get used to each others smells) hadn't thought about separate rooms to prevent diseases. Our cage is definatly large enough, approved by our fantastic rescue. I have been told very little back story other than 'if you need a friend for you piggy you can take these' but know nothing more. Our exotic vet is fantastic and can get them checked if we do decide to get them. I just want my piggy to be ok.