• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bored or Independent?

SimonandAlly

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am worried my Simon is lonely. I originally adopted two pigs, him and another one. I was told they were both males but Simon got the other pregnant. Its been some time since this happened and she gave birth and I kept the girl baby pig she had with the mom. But I had to seperate Simon from them and he seemed lonely. Over the year I have tried 2 different occasions where I tried to bond him with a new pig but they always fought and Simon started pulling his hair out due to anxiety. He seems lonely watching the girls next door, but doesn't do well with other males I bring in! Should I try adopting a younger pig that is a couple weeks old and not as aggresive? Do I adopt an older one? I'm losing my wits because I want him happy and have tried my best. Please help! Thank you. He has been alone for so long (a year) I feel he is too accustomed to having a buddy and I feel as if it is my fault he is depressed and rhat makes me feel awful.

Honestly, I have thought about it. I know this isn't the best news, Simon and Ally are actually siblings...I adopted them together so I think he has a bond with her. He has already costed me over a thousand in vet bills due to a lump in his neck and I'm scared to put him through the whole vet process again. He is a calm, trusting, and tolerant pig, but he had his limits with the constant meds. Would he still try and hump the girls after being fixed?

Honestly, I have thought about it. I know this isn't the best news, Simon and Ally are actually siblings...I adopted them together so I think he has a bond with her. He has already costed me over a thousand in vet bills due to a lump in his neck and I'm scared to put him through the whole vet process again. He is a calm, trusting, and tolerant pig, but he had his limits with the constant meds. Would he still try and hump the girls after being fixed?
He may do when they are on heat or for dominance

Yes, he would still hump after he's neutered, but he would hump a male pig too. It's very often about dominance rather than making babies. The girls might also hump HIM too, especially if they are in season. To be fair, it's not just guinea pigs that do this, lots of other animals also use humping as a display of dominance.
I really hope you decide to neuter him and put him with the girls. It sounds like a perfect solution, and you would have a very happy little fella. X

How much is it generally in the U.S to fix a pig? And I'm still a bit nervous to put him through another vet ordeal and stress him out.

He will hump them at first but it will soon settle and you will most likely have a wonderful little group.
I don't know how much it costs in the US but an experienced vet in the UK will probably charge around £80 - £100. It's so worth it and in experienced hands it's a very straightforward operation. Of course there are risks of infection but if he is a young healthy piggy he should do fine

He will hump them at first but it will soon settle and you will most likely have a wonderful little group.
I don't know how much it costs in the US but an experienced vet in the UK will probably charge around £80 - £100. It's so worth it and in experienced hands it's a very straightforward operation. Of course there are risks of infection but if he is a young healthy piggy he should do fine
I neuterd my boar with a good vet, and there were no troubles atall, mt boar humped my sow about 5 times, then nothing since ( that i have seen) it doesnt matter anyway though 😊

My vet quoted me about $110, which is on the more expensive side of average. Most vets in the US charge around $100. Post-op care isn't too bad unless something goes wrong, but as long as you choose an experienced piggy vet you will be fine. My vet gave me a little metacam for the first couple days, but if you've already dealt with meds it shouldn't be too hard.

Back