• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Both my guinea pigs aren’t drinking?

court29x

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
For the past 2 days my guinea pigs haven’t drank anything from their water bottle? They are both lively, playing, eating just not drinking? I’ve just ran out of hay so they didn’t have much yesterday but I’m on my way out now to get some..they’ve had some grass and red pepper and devoured the lot, but I’m confused why they aren’t drinking? The bottle is letting water out and I even put it up to both of their mouths to drink some but neither of them had any which they normally would? The water is the same water I put in everyday I’ve havent changed anything? Really confused..any help would be appreciated! X

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
if they're pee'ing OK - they should be fine . Sometimes Guinea Pigs get all the liquid they need from their veg - particular if you've given them cucumber.

also ... I like to have at least 2 bottles per hutch /cage - just in case one fails for some reason .

Last edited:

Eriathwen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Eating hay makes them thirsty because it's dry, so if they've not had much, but had bell pepper then they wont feel all that thirsty. They will most likely start drinking normally again when their hay supply goes back to how it was.

Lorcan

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
That idea of dish is great :hmm: and one I shall do soon as I get home from work. :doh:
I have poorly piggie Cocoa and she cos of her mouth can't use bottle. . She gets lots juice from cucumber.

Dishes are great, Comet and Blitzen would only drink from a bowl at first. You need to change it out regularly because it gets pee'd in, pooped in, and random food and bedding debris gets dumped in it, though.