• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

2Pigs2Many

New Born Pup
Reaction score
This might be a strange question, but is 3rd cut Timothy Hay supposed to have these sharp brambles? I usually buy from RabbitHole Hay but they were out of stock on a 3rd cut I wanted to try, so I went to Small Pet Select (Which seems like a big mistake). I ended up cutting my hand so bad it bled a lot and it got littered with splinters after I went to grab hay to stuff into my piggies hay bag. It hurt really bad, and now I'm wondering if I should get garden gloves to do the chore but now I am worried they will end up hurting themselves if they accidentally eat them.

I don't think the website does full refunds... they allow store credit but I don't even want that kind of quality. I'd rather just buy from RabbitHole Hay again... anyone have this experience before? Thanks :)

I have not heard of any problems previously with Small Pet Select hay, so I would send them photos and ask them about this. I’m not sure where in the world you are, but under UK consumer law if an item is faulty the provider has to replace it or refund it.

I kept finding thorns is the winter season here in the u. K in the following meadow hay.

Norfolk pastures
B and m meadow hay
The range meadow hay
Pets at home meadow hay, both of their kinds ( short and long ish cut)

In summer i have no troubles.but I think it's luck of the draw if the tractor or whatever they use, pulls it up from the fields or not

My pigs have never had a problem with thorns if i missed any, but I still hate the fact they might be grazing through them, I have read it doesn't bother rabbits, but Guineas I don't know. And yea it hurts when you grab hay and get pricked 😩

Hay is a natural product so ... there is always a risk that you will find something undesirable in it .

I wouldn’t give hay with brambles in to guinea pigs because of the risk of hay pokes.

The company that I buy my hay from always replaces it if I am not happy with it.

Some of my hay that I have had from various places has been rubbish this year but we’ve had a lot of rain so that’s probably why.

Sadly, bad batches are common due to the weather but if you’re not happy, you have a right to ask for a full refund

Thank you all, I'm in the USA and I've had no problem with RabbitHole Hay orders for over a year now I just wanted to try out 3rd cut this time. Small Pet Select forgot to ship out these stick treats that I found on sale too. I submitted a ticket to them asking if this is common in their 3rd cut product, I feel like I may just try for a refund and buy from RabbitHole Hay again. We'll see what happens!

I used to get hay from Small Pet Select all the time and never had any brambles or overly sharp bits. I switched to Standlee because it's cheaper, and it has been really great quality, I sift through it with bare hands and arms to pull out the seed heads for treats and never gotten even a small scratch. I would let them know about the brambles and see if they will send a replacement. I wouldn't feed anything to the guinea pigs that cut up your hand, it seems very likely that they would end up getting injured.

It’s a difficult one. We want organic hay that’s not full of harmful chemicals but also want just hay and no sharp weeds/thorns/brambles. I think piggies can discriminate what they will and will not eat. My two go out on lush grass and you find them eating old brown apple leaves, there’s no accounting for taste? 😆 Try sift through it and wear a pair of gardening gloves, that should help save your hands x

i have a 10kg box of select hay 3rd cutting and it is green and soft.no thorns,brambles.just my piggies are not so keen on it being so soft !no pleasing some.2nd cutting from a uk supplier seems to be loved by all my piggies.

I ended up getting a full refund today, they were very professional over there at costumer support. It may have just been an unlucky buy but I think I'll just stick to my usual routine.

Back