• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bull laying down and chirping after fight

K31ran

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have 2 males 1 older than the other not related I was petting both at same time and they smaller pig started humping the bigger one which led to a scuffle and the older one chased and humping the little one (I assume getting his dominence back)
But now he is lying down and chirping and occasionally goes back to humping and chasing the little one again. Do I need to separate them ? And is the older one okay

I have 2 males 1 older than the other not related I was petting both at same time and they smaller pig started humping the bigger one which led to a scuffle and the older one chased and humping the little one (I assume getting his dominence back)
But now he is lying down and chirping and occasionally goes back to humping and chasing the little one again. Do I need to separate them ? And is the older one okay

Hi and welcome!

It doesn't sound to me like you need to separate, but it would definitely help if you could upload a video on a public setting elsewhere and then link it into your post. Your description is a bit on the vague side to judge communication and body language.

How old are your boars and how long have they been together?

No, you don’t need to separate. This doesn’t sound concerning. Keep an eye on them to ensure a full on fight doesn’t break out, but mounting and chasing is normal dominance behaviour.

Not sure on the older one as he was adopted but I guess around 1 year the smaller one is 4 months

Between the ages of approx 4 and 14 months they are in their teenage months when their hormones rise. During this time you can expect a lot of this kind of behaviour. Your younger one is just coming into his teens and potentially your older one may still be in or newly out of his teens.

The links I’ve put below should help you with the behaviours and all about teenage boars!

Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Back