• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Piggiebaby

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I’m thinking about getting an indoor c & c cage, but I’ve noticed that there are several to choose from! I literally have no idea where to start. I have seen single and double ones, ones that have a ramp and ones that do not (can you buy a ramp separate?) and ones with a loft. So, I’m totally confused on what would be the best for my piggies.
I have seen people on IG put fairy lights around their GPs cages too, is this safe? And what if so what sort of one would I need? Do you need a fabric liner for the ramp?
Do you use anything underneath the cage liners for it (eg puppy pads etc)
If you have a c & c cage pleaseeeee post a photo! I’d love to see them!
I’m also going to attach a photo of where I need the piggie cage to go - so if you have any ideas on the size I would need, please let me know. (Also ignore the mess - that’ll obviously be cleared away before the cage goes there!

Thank you 🥰

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 25
Hi guys, so I’m thinking about getting an indoor c & c cage, but I’ve noticed that there are several to choose from! I literally have no idea where to start. I have seen single and double ones, ones that have a ramp and ones that do not (can you buy a ramp separate?) and ones with a loft. So, I’m totally confused on what would be the best for my piggies.
I have seen people on IG put fairy lights around their GPs cages too, is this safe? And what if so what sort of one would I need? Do you need a fabric liner for the ramp?
Do you use anything underneath the cage liners for it (eg puppy pads etc)
If you have a c & c cage pleaseeeee post a photo! I’d love to see them!
I’m also going to attach a photo of where I need the piggie cage to go - so if you have any ideas on the size I would need, please let me know. (Also ignore the mess - that’ll obviously be cleared away before the cage goes there!

Thank you 🥰
Did you say in an earlier post that you have 5 piggies and possibly looking to add more? C and c cages are fantastic, but check the recommended size of c and c cage for that many, it might not fit that space. Sorry, I can't add links to the guides you need, but someone will. You can search for it too.

C and c cages are either build your own, or bought sets. There's a gallery on here of people's c and c cages which is very nice 😊

Lofts with a ramp are in my experience mostly good for younger, zippy piggies. They're just an add on, the base cage has to be the recommended minimum for the number of piggies.

I think for 6 you would need a 2x8 (on one floor) or a configuration that needs 20 grids. Have a look at the thread below for people’s setups. You would likely have to make an L shape cage in that space.
65046486-9253-4E78-9B40-EFD9746CF945.jpeg
Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

Thanks guys, do you know if I bought this one , if I could slot another tray in? Above where the boxes would go x

Attachments

• A013429D-B2D5-4142-AC43-A4A008CA1706.png
    A013429D-B2D5-4142-AC43-A4A008CA1706.png
    195.4 KB · Views: 20
Thanks guys, do you know if I bought this one , if I could slot another tray in? Above where the boxes would go x
You can have a stacked cage a bit similar to that yes, a 2x4 or 2x5 on top of another, but you'd have to permanently divide your herd into 2 groups. Search online or on here for stacked c and c cage.

What size is the space you have available and how many pigs do you have?

I am only one month into this "fabulous world of pigs" so I'm sure others will have better advice than me, but this is what I wish I had thought of a month ago...

Because C&C means you can do absolutely anything you want... when planning your set up take some masking tape and put an outline on the floor where it will go. Imagine the 14 inch walls (along with the stand height if you are planning on one) and try to work out how difficult it will be to reach all the corners when it is time to clean. Where will you put the hay and water bottles and if the water gets jostled around (aka leak even more), will that cause wet hay? What do you want to put in and where do you want it, is there room for everything?

I ordered coroplast that had to be cut for under the bedding, now that I'm a month in there is so much I want to change but am not sure my coroplast will allow it... and I really don't want to keep changing the layout on my pigs. I did get a loft, only one of my pigs will even consider going up to it. I've only seen him really spend time up there twice. Usually he just runs up, leaves me something to clean and runs back down. When we finally move and they boys will already have to adjust to a new space that loft will become more floor space for them.

I am only one month into this "fabulous world of pigs" so I'm sure others will have better advice than me, but this is what I wish I had thought of a month ago...

Because C&C means you can do absolutely anything you want... when planning your set up take some masking tape and put an outline on the floor where it will go. Imagine the 14 inch walls (along with the stand height if you are planning on one) and try to work out how difficult it will be to reach all the corners when it is time to clean. Where will you put the hay and water bottles and if the water gets jostled around (aka leak even more), will that cause wet hay? What do you want to put in and where do you want it, is there room for everything?

I ordered coroplast that had to be cut for under the bedding, now that I'm a month in there is so much I want to change but am not sure my coroplast will allow it... and I really don't want to keep changing the layout on my pigs. I did get a loft, only one of my pigs will even consider going up to it. I've only seen him really spend time up there twice. Usually he just runs up, leaves me something to clean and runs back down. When we finally move and they boys will already have to adjust to a new space that loft will become more floor space for them.
I love changing my set up almost as much as I love my piggies. Hopefully you enjoy your redesign!
With that masking tape method, worth noting as well that you can overlap grids to make a 3.5x4.5 for example, if it suits a space better.

I've changed my set up multiple times. I originally had a 2x4 C&C cage for 2 pigs, then changed it to be a 2x4 with a 2x2 loft, then brought the loft down and added it to the end to make a 2x6 for 3 pigs, and I have recently upgraded to a 4x5 C&C cage for 3 pigs, which I believe is enough for 6 or so pigs. I may end up making an L shape - a 2x6 with a 2x5, making a total of 2x11. You can do so many things with these cages. It's not just limited to what you can readily buy. Good luck 😊

You can also try looking at the link below for inspiration, but with 5-6 guinea pigs in one herd you really need to start off with 20 grids to create the ground floor, which you can put in any configuration you like (although a minimum of 2 grids wide is essential).
Lofts and second levels can be a good addition, but my top tip would be to not make them too wide, otherwise they will be a nightmare to clean under.

Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

Adding things like fairy lights and bunting etc are fine as long as you make sure that any works are well out of the piggies reach. A safer alternative would be to add fairy lights above the cage or along the wall outsdie the cage.

:agr:
For that many piggies you need a c&c cage with a ground floor using 20 grids. The good thing of c&c is you can make it in any shape you need, but the 20 grids is going to cover a space approximately 280cm x 77cm (23 square feet) if you make it a 2 grid by 8 grid shape. Anything less than that and the cage won’t be big enough on the bottom floor for the amount of piggies you have.

Cages with ramps to upper levels are only bonus spaces - the cage has to be big enough for the number of piggies you have on the bottom level. C&c full kits, if you then choose to add a loft, will come with an appropriate ramp.

The cage in the picture you added in at post #4 is a 2x4 cage on a single level which is only big enough for two piggies to live in, even if you did add a second level

Stacked cages are only suitable for separate pairs of piggies.

Last edited:
Back