• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Can I pick wild forage safely?

JellyBeanGuinea

New Born Pup
Reaction score
my guinea pig has a good diet of shopbought veggies however I want to add more variety. Can I pick dandelions and greens from down my local park and woods? Dogs go there but there are secluded patches. I am worried about there being disease or something on the plants from other wild animals! Is this possible and would it be best to soak them in hot water?

I’m not entirely sure. I would say it’s better to try and source them from a dog pee free area. Someone else who picks forage elsewhere will be able to help. I’ll also tag @teddymouse who knows loads about it.

my guinea pig has a good diet of shopbought veggies however I want to add more variety. Can I pick dandelions and greens from down my local park and woods? Dogs go there but there are secluded patches. I am worried about there being disease or something on the plants from other wild animals! Is this possible and would it be best to soak them in hot water?

Hi

Please rinse your forage but do not soak it in hot water. Ideally you stay off the most obvious dog walking areas.

Here is our wild UK forage guide: Safe wild weeds/plants you can feed your piggies

We forage from all the local countryside around my village.

I also have a plant ID app on my phone but so far I've only given grass, dandelions and sticky weed as I'm a bit hesitant with anything else!

We forage from all the local countryside around my village.

I also have a plant ID app on my phone but so far I've only given grass, dandelions and sticky weed as I'm a bit hesitant with anything else!
Oh okay! I might look into that. I am glad others forage in the countryside too. Thank you for your reply

Back