• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Can someone please help? - Very sore skin problem near eye

Lola_Little_Piggie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello. I am David and i have a little Guinea pig. She is a female, about 3 months old and we have her since she was 2 months old. We were with her at a vet but the vet didnt give us any real answers. For the last 2 weeks i tried my best to take care but to no succes. I put the photo of what she looks as my profile picture. Because i dont know how to insert a photo. If you cloud let me know that too i'll apreciate it :)

Unfortunately we aren’t vets so we cannot diagnose anything.
it’s possible she has a fungal infection - is that something your vet has mentioned to you? As I say though, only a vet can give you a diagnosis. What has your vet said the problem might be?
Have you been putting something onto the area?
If so, did it look like any of the pictures in the guide below before you put something on it? Adding things to it can mean any tell tale signs can be removed so that is why I’m asking this.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Hello. I am David and i have a little Guinea pig. She is a female, about 3 months old and we have her since she was 2 months old. We were with her at a vet but the vet didnt give us any real answers. For the last 2 weeks i tried my best to take care but to no succes. I put the photo of what she looks as my profile picture. Because i dont know how to insert a photo. If you cloud let me know that too i'll apreciate it :)

Hi and welcome

Has your your piggy checked and treated for potential ringworm (the most aggressive form of fungal skin infection that affects all pet species and humans too (where it is better known as tinea)? it is a very common problem but the wrong kind of topical treatment can make the sensitive skin around the eye much worse.

See pictures in this guide link here: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Hi and welcome

Has your your piggy checked and treated for potential ringworm (the most aggressive form of fungal skin infection that affects all pet species and humans too (where it is better known as tinea)? it is a very common problem but the wrong kind of topical treatment can make the sensitive skin around the eye much worse.

See pictures in this guide link here: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures
Thankyou very much for your answer and i will do some more researche on the topic. Do you suggest any specific treatment?

I agree it looks like it could be ringworm - please read our guide as ringworm can be passed to humans so you need to protect yourself. We do not recommend treating at home. Please take her to see a vet for diagnosis and treatment.

it’s possible she has a fungal infection - is that something your vet has mentioned to you? As I say though, only a vet can give you a diagnosis. What has your vet said the problem might be?
If so, did it look like any of the pictures in the guide below before you put something on it? Adding things to it can mean any tell tale signs can be removed so that is why I’m asking this.
Thank you for answer and i wil give mine too.
•My vet said just that its not mycosis and not scab.
•She didnt say anithyng about what is just about what its not.
•Yes. We have bin putting some medicine
•She said its not mycosis or scab
•we have bin puting kanamycin monosulfate because she said it MIGHT help.

I agree it looks like it could be ringworm - please read our guide as ringworm can be passed to humans so you need to protect yourself. We do not recommend treating at home. Please take her to see a vet for diagnosis and treatment.
Thankyou for your reply. We will take her to the vet as soon as possible! I think i already got it and i am already taking medicine!1610566821779514991629926456361.jpg

Now i found a way to add photos. Here are some: IMG-20210113-WA0061.jpgIMG-20210113-WA0065.jpgIMG-20210113-WA0065.jpgIMG-20210113-WA0063.jpgIMG-20210113-WA0062.jpgIMG-20210113-WA0061.jpgIMG-20210113-WA0060.jpgIMG-20210113-WA0060.jpgIMG-20210113-WA0065.jpgIMG-20210113-WA0065.jpgIMG-20210113-WA0060.jpgIMG-20210113-WA0060.jpg
Here are photos: IMG-20210113-WA0060.jpgIMG-20210113-WA0065.jpgIMG-20210113-WA0065.jpgIMG-20210113-WA0063.jpgIMG-20210113-WA0062.jpgIMG-20210113-WA0061.jpgIMG-20210113-WA0060.jpg

Thankyou very much for your answer and i will do some more researche on the topic. Do you suggest any specific treatment?

PLEASE read the green link in my first post. You will find all the information about ringworm, pictures, treatment, hyigene measures etc. in there. It is the most comprehensive and detailed practical information currently to be found.

PLEASE read the green link in my first post. You will find all the information about ringworm, pictures, treatment, hyigene measures etc. in there. It is the most comprehensive and detailed practical information currently to be found.
I will read it very soon. Where i live (romania) it is curently 10:33. And tomorow i have school :)

Definitely read the guide that Wiebke has kindly put together. I am treating one of my guys for ringworm (and I’ve had it myself), it’s a pain but easy to get on top of with the help on here and veterinary treatment

Ouch- that looks quite sore, and having had a kid with ringworm before, the patch on human skin definitely looks like ringworm! The guide is your best place to start... ringworm is hard to get on top of but it can be done. Best of luck!

Definitely read the guide that Wiebke has kindly put together. I am treating one of my guys for ringworm (and I’ve had it myself), it’s a pain but easy to get on top of with the help on here and veterinary treatment
I will go read @Wiebke guide and see what i have to do in terms of medical care for me and her. Have a greate day.

Ouch- that looks quite sore, and having had a kid with ringworm before, the patch on human skin definitely looks like ringworm! The guide is your best place to start... ringworm is hard to get on top of but it can be done. Best of luck!
Thankyou. My mother works near Dermathologists and shiwed them a picture of it and said it was Mycosis. But the chanses of me an Lola having diffrent problems at the same time are slim. Everibody is saying Lola has ringworms, so most likely i have them aswell as you said. I will get lola to a Vet and myself to a Doctor. I have a few questions tho:
•Is it ok for me to stay with her during her ringworm treatment?
•Can ringworms cover up her whole body?

Thankyou. My mother works near Dermathologists and shiwed them a picture of it and said it was Mycosis. But the chanses of me an Lola having diffrent problems at the same time are slim. Everibody is saying Lola has ringworms, so most likely i have them aswell as you said. I will get lola to a Vet and myself to a Doctor. I have a few questions tho:
•Is it ok for me to stay with her during her ringworm treatment?
•Can ringworms cover up her whole body?
Mycosis basically just is a medical term for a fungal infection. Ringworm is a fungal infection (it isn't really caused by a worm, it's a misleading name.) There are a lot of fungi that can cause rashes, ringworm is visually distinctive because it makes that nice round pattern so it's easy to identify. So this is pretty consistent with what you are being told.
I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to be with her when she sees the vet and is treated- unless there are pandemic restrictions that mean you can't be there. Treatment is generally a cream that you will have to keep applying from home, or possibly an oral antifungal. I have no idea how far ringworm can go as far as spreading. It doesn't clear up on its own and it just keeps growing, so with time it could probably cover a lot of body surface on a small animal. Definitely best not to let it get that far. I hope you are able to get something that can help. Also note that antifungals don't work instantly... you have to keep applying them and it can take some time to see the results. So don't stop applying it if you don't see any change in the first few days. It can take some time. Hope this helps!

Mycosis basically just is a medical term for a fungal infection. Ringworm is a fungal infection (it isn't really caused by a worm, it's a misleading name.) There are a lot of fungi that can cause rashes, ringworm is visually distinctive because it makes that nice round pattern so it's easy to identify. So this is pretty consistent with what you are being told.
I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to be with her when she sees the vet and is treated- unless there are pandemic restrictions that mean you can't be there. Treatment is generally a cream that you will have to keep applying from home, or possibly an oral antifungal. I have no idea how far ringworm can go as far as spreading. It doesn't clear up on its own and it just keeps growing, so with time it could probably cover a lot of body surface on a small animal. Definitely best not to let it get that far. I hope you are able to get something that can help. Also note that antifungals don't work instantly... you have to keep applying them and it can take some time to see the results. So don't stop applying it if you don't see any change in the first few days. It can take some time. Hope this helps!
16106105742298381227097682180413.jpg i think she starts looking better.

View attachment 164089 i think she starts looking better.

PLEASE read our ringworm guide! Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

You will find the answers to your questions in there; including that ringworm can happen anywhere on the body once your piggy is picking up shed spoes from the initial outbreak to what hygiene measures you need to take yourself in order to avoid infection for yourself to what hygiene measures you need to take in order to avoid re-infection and a new outbreak in the coming months. You can also find plenty of ringworm pictures in the guide that show you how an outbreak typically runs.

Ringworm spores are so small they are invisible but they are very long-lived (up to 2 years and sometime even a bit beyond) and they are highly infectious. That is why good hygiene and the appropriate treatment are all important.

is she getting better tho?
16109683149627369780410965629372.jpg

Hi!

Yes, the end of the acute outbreak in that patch comes when no new crusts form and there is no further hair loss around the outer edges.
Please compare with the pictures in our ringworm guide. They illustrate the various stages from the start of an outbreak to the end, so you can judge for yourself.
Thankyou. We are takeing care of her 24/7 with a cream our vet recomanded and since then she is getting better. But we dont know how much more we shloud do it. If you may tell us about how much more we shloud "cream her" we wloud apreciate it. Here is her actual state:16110010441936050983327003790330.jpg

Back