• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

France

New Born Pup
Reaction score
A few months ago in September my baby Honey died from mysterious causes. I've posted a couple of times about him for other, minor issues. I usually can move on in about a few weeks or so, but his death was far different from all the others and has left me grieving for longer than usual due to the lack on closure on what took my baby.

He was only 3 years old and a healthy weight - 2.1 pounds, and very active. I had never owned such a lively piggie.

Day one my stepdad found him lethargic that evening- despite him being fine that morning. I quickly sprung into action and began to comfort him and see if he could eat anything but he refused, even veggies weren't accepted. He was clearly ill and had a difficult time walking. But aside from the generic symptoms of every illness, that was all that was apparent. No skin lesion, no bald spots, no hair loss, only lethargy and lack of appetite. I force fed him orange juice so he would have liquid and vitamin C in him.

Day two and I did my research and suspected it may be an impaction. He was relatively young, but he was a boar so it was plausible. I began to treat him and did get a moderate amount out of him but that was it. Aside from that, it didn't really seem like he had much of an impaction save that bit. I kept treating him anyways, and to my surprise he did begin to show some improvement. He wasn't eating much, but he did accept a few pieces of hay and half a carrot so it was a start. I continued to force feed him both orange juice and clean water to keep fluids in his system, thinking an impaction was the issue and hoping the water would flush out his system. He would not pass either urine or feces. I had contacted a veterinarian but they could not get me in soon enough- I would have to wait 3 days. At the time I could not afford an emergency vet.

Day three and he hadn't shown much difference from day two. He had eaten some pieces of food I cut into very small pieces, and I continues to treat him for impactions twice a day, but it was about the same as day two again. Hadn't gotten better, but hadn't gotten worse either. He would "talk" on occasion, though.

Day four was the day everything completely spiraled. He couldn't even sit without tipping over, he was beyond weak and wouldn't swallow much when I force fed him. Impaction treatments no longer did anything. He would not pass feces but his urine was a very dark amber, almost bloody, and he was urinating rather frequently. I can't say if he was in pain because he made no noise and couldn't move at all, but I imagine he was. He didn't make a sound all day.

He passed that night.

All four days I spent every waking hour comforting, holding, treating him, only for a few hours would I set him in his cage to rest while I ate and such. Other times he slept on my desk while I tried to draw.
I'm sorry I don't have many details I can remember off the top of my head, but if anyone has any questions I would probably know the answer. I just would really like some idea of what took my baby, because as of now I'm scared of getting any more babies in fear of going through this mystery death again. I'm told some piggies just have bad genes, but I just really am in desperate need of some closure right now. Coping with a baby going softly after living a full life is one thing, it's another to have no idea what happened, and I fear there may have been things I should have done better. I've expressed my pain many times to friends, but I feel comfort from people who understand piggies as well as I do would be beneficial.
Thank you.

Sorry I cant help, but I just want to say that there is NOTHING you could of done better, you did everything. You comforted, and fed your little guy when he was sick, you were there for him. I bet when he passed over that rainbow bridge he felt deeply loved and cared for. I'm very sorry for your loss x

I'm so sorry for your loss - has your vet given any guidance on what was wrong ?

It is very hard to tell what happened to Honey. Guinea pigs do sometimes go downhill very fast with no warning. It has happened many times to me with no explaination. they often go too quick to do anything, they are very good at hiding illness until it is too late.

It sounds like you gave him the best care that you could and he knew he was loved. You have to not blame yourself there was nothing you could have done better. Unfortunately you may never get any actual answers as to the reasons. Sometimes it is just their time.

I am sorry, we have lost a piggy in mysterious circumstances and it weighs heavy on your mind. That is the complex nature and unfairness of grief. I will say to you what a lovely person on the forum once said to me- The last days or hours of anyone's life do not define a life, it is the love within it. It is most plain to see that Honey was loved and adored by yourself.

Try not to dwell on what caused it, just remember they had a great life and were loved

Oh my. So sorry to hear about Honey.
We not always allowed answers. He was loved and remember that he will.
Rip. little guy.

I'm really sorry for your loss. It sounds as though you did everything you could. Unfortunately, sometimes there are no clear answers and sometimes, despite our best efforts, there isn't a happy ending. ((HUGS)) to you.

Sometimes the call from the Rainbow Bridge is too strong and they just have to go. He is out of pain now and popcorning, eating his favourite food and making lots of new friends at the Rainbow Bridge.

Back