• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Chip Broke His Teeth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWheekies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to send you to my new blog and my latest post about how Chip broke his teeth and how I'm dealing with it! Please give feedback and if you have any tips, feel free to share either in the comments here or on my blog.

thesqueakies.wordpress.com

So I've noticed today that Chip has only got his bottom front teeth left, due to the top two breaking off. Does anyone have any tips on how to help them grow back faster or to make sure he's doing ok? They already have a mineral stone in the cage and plenty of vitamin powder in their water.
There is no blood where his teeth have broken, but they are quite low such that you can't see them unless you open his mouth which he hates. Any tips on how to check his teeth properly because he really doesn't like it when we try but we need to make sure they're ok?

And also, I know I already posted about this but no one seems to have seen it and I didn't really explain the problem.

Thanks!

So I've noticed today that Chip has only got his bottom front teeth left, due to the top two breaking off. Does anyone have any tips on how to help them grow back faster or to make sure he's doing ok? They already have a mineral stone in the cage and plenty of vitamin powder in their water.
There is no blood where his teeth have broken, but they are quite low such that you can't see them unless you open his mouth which he hates. Any tips on how to check his teeth properly because he really doesn't like it when we try but we need to make sure they're ok?

And also, I know I already posted about this but no one seems to have seen it and I didn't really explain the problem.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome!

Please respect that we do any moderating/advising unpaid in our own free time. We try to answer all threads in this section in due time and as quickly as we can. This is the weekend, after all. ;)
Please also post your problem in a proper post and not just a link to a blog.

It is important to make sure that the two top teeth are still sitting firmly in the mouth; if not, the tooth root could be affected. Please see a vet if necessary.

Front teeth are self-sharpening, so they should sort themselves out once they meet. Teeth grow very quickly if they are not ground down, so they should grow back in a matter of days. See a vet if the teeth don't grow back evenly and if there is a slant where the front teeth meet.

Until then, you may want to mush up the pellets, cut up hay or syringe feed and grate any veg. You can find more tips at the end of our syringe feeding guide in the section about dental guinea pigs. Weigh your piggy daily at the same time in the feeding cycle instead of weekly; you need to start supportive syringe feeding if the weight loss surpasses 50g/2 oz.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Be aware that mineral stones are not necessary and are in fact ignored by guinea pigs on a good, balanced diet. Additives to water are actually counterproductive; guinea pigs drink noticeably less while you are unable to control the intake. Water also tends to go off and go green much more quickly with additives. If you want to give added vitamin C, it is much better to either give it directly or syringe it dissolved in 1ml of water for optimal efficiency and to make sure that the guinea pig gets the full benefit.
You may find the detailed information in this thread here helpful: Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

PS: I am merging your threads to prevent confusion.

Hi and welcome!

Please respect that we do any moderating/advising unpaid in our own free time. We try to answer all threads in this section in due time and as quickly as we can. This is the weekend, after all. ;)
Please also post your problem in a proper post and not just a link to a blog.

It is important to make sure that the two top teeth are still sitting firmly in the mouth; if not, the tooth root could be affected. Please see a vet if necessary.

Front teeth are self-sharpening, so they should sort themselves out once they meet. Teeth grow very quickly if they are not ground down, so they should grow back in a matter of days. See a vet if the teeth don't grow back evenly and if there is a slant where the front teeth meet.

Until then, you may want to mush up the pellets, cut up hay or syringe feed and grate any veg. You can find more tips at the end of our syringe feeding guide in the section about dental guinea pigs. Weigh your piggy daily at the same time in the feeding cycle instead of weekly; you need to start supportive syringe feeding if the weight loss surpasses 50g/2 oz.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Be aware that mineral stones are not necessary and are in fact ignored by guinea pigs on a good, balanced diet. Additives to water are actually counterproductive; guinea pigs drink noticeably less while you are unable to control the intake. Water also tends to go off and go green much more quickly with additives. If you want to give added vitamin C, it is much better to either give it directly or syringe it dissolved in 1ml of water for optimal efficiency and to make sure that the guinea pig gets the full benefit.
You may find the detailed information in this thread here helpful: Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

PS: I am merging your threads to prevent confusion.
Thanks for your advice, and I apologise for being a little pushy - I'd posted a few times with various topics but no one had been active, yet people were replying to other threads. I suppose I was worried about Chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back