• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cloudy Eye After Hay Poke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggiemum7

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I noticed my guinea pig Jerry had a small piece of hay stuck under the lid above his eye which I bathed with hot water and managed to get out without much fuss. I'm just a little worried as his eye has clouded over and the normally white areas have turned red. I'm going to take him to the vets tomorrow but just wondered if anyone has any previous experiences with this?

I noticed my guinea pig Jerry had a small piece of hay stuck under the lid above his eye which I bathed with hot water and managed to get out without much fuss. I'm just a little worried as his eye has clouded over and the normally white areas have turned red. I'm going to take him to the vets tomorrow but just wondered if anyone has any previous experiences with this?

It looks like the hay as caused an ulceration from a little scratch on the surface. With prompt treatment, it should come down again fairly quickly; good that you have him seen tomorrow; he'll get the appropriate eye ointment. Eye infections can come on very quickly and need to be seen by a vet promptly; however, they generally come down again fairly quickly again, too.

Welcome to the forum, well done for catching it early. Good to get an appointment tomorrow. All should be fine with some antibiotic eye drops.

Is that Jerry in your avatar? Beautiful piggy.

Let us know how he gets on at the vets tomorrow

Lee

Welcome to the forum, well done for catching it early. Good to get an appointment tomorrow. All should be fine with some antibiotic eye drops.

Is that Jerry in your avatar? Beautiful piggy.

Let us know how he gets on at the vets tomorrow

Lee

Thank you for the reassurance everyone! I'll let you know how he gets on.
The piggy in my avatar is called Ben. They're named after my favourite ice cream Ben and Jerry's haha!

Scratched cornea, eye drops and a check up on Wednesday! Poor baby looks painful.

image.jpg

Poor Jerry. Hopefully the drops will work quickly to heal the eye. Has the vet shown you the easiest way to put the drops in ? Apologies if you already know but it's easiest to approach from the back of the head above the eye as that's where the vision is poorest and you stand the best chance of getting the drops in with least resistance. Some piggies are more accommodating than others (Mr Ted up is an angel but Violet is a wriggly moving target!).

Aww poor piggy, don't worry it's very common, mine had one and his eye looked worse than that but was back to normal within the week of being given eye drops :)

Poor Jerry. Hopefully the drops will work quickly to heal the eye. Has the vet shown you the easiest way to put the drops in ? Apologies if you already know but it's easiest to approach from the back of the head above the eye as that's where the vision is poorest and you stand the best chance of getting the drops in with least resistance. Some piggies are more accommodating than others (Mr Ted up is an angel but Violet is a wriggly moving target!).

I wasn't able to go to the vets with him I had to get my mum to take him for me because of work so that's really helpful to know thank you! He's a wriggler when getting groomed etc but he is usually good with medication! Fingers crossed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back