Concerned over behaviour.

Angel_Celeste

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm posting on behalf of my sister, who's extremely concerned about her Guinea pig.
We've had him for around 3 months now, and I believe he's between 6-7 months old. We've just bought two more Guinea pigs yesterday, both female, and are housing them in a separate cage until he can be neutered.
However, upon seeing and smelling them, he's become extremely over excited, chirping and squeaking very loudly and trying to climb up his cage, so much so that he bends over backwards and falls. She's concerned that he'll hurt himself. No matter what we try he just won't calm down, is there anything we could possibly do to get him to at least stop falling over?

Milton:)

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Maybe he is just really excited especially if he lived alone before, seeing another pig can make them very happy. Also he is a Male and it is probably normal for his to be super happy about seeing a female. Keeping them separate but visible can be hard for the pigs because they like to establish a ranking system and dominance and cannot do that through cages. put the pigs in separate rooms so they cant see or smell each other. Idk if you already do this but it should calm things down a lot.

PERFECT G PIGS

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
HI.
You need to remove his cage from the room where the girls cage is and get him to the vet to be sorted out as soon as possible, he should be soon ready, if not ready now.

When he is done the vet will advise you on how long to wait before he can go in with the girls, it is normally 6-10 weeks.

You will need to find a way of separation from the girls so he can see them but not smell them in this 6-10 week period, hope this makes sense.

You will have to do a Google search on bonding Guinea pigs etc... After the 6-10 week period has passed.

GOOD LUCK.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm posting on behalf of my sister, who's extremely concerned about her Guinea pig.
We've had him for around 3 months now, and I believe he's between 6-7 months old. We've just bought two more Guinea pigs yesterday, both female, and are housing them in a separate cage until he can be neutered.
However, upon seeing and smelling them, he's become extremely over excited, chirping and squeaking very loudly and trying to climb up his cage, so much so that he bends over backwards and falls. She's concerned that he'll hurt himself. No matter what we try he just won't calm down, is there anything we could possibly do to get him to at least stop falling over?
Hi!

Poor boy; all the sow pheromones can really catch a boy out!

Could you cable-tie some cardboard to the cage wall where he climbs to prevent him from doing that until calms down a bit again?
Or remove the cage to another room for the night.

5StarPigs

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would reccomend moving the cage in another room until after he is neutured and after the 6 week wait period. Please be aware after male piggies are neatured they must continue to stay in another cage alone for 6 weeks to prevent any pregnancies. Good luck on bonding soon!

Angel_Celeste

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all!
Thank you for the hints and tips, we've removed the girls cage to the downstairs so he's well away from them for now.
He's also been booked into the vets this Friday, so well on the way to being able to be in with his new lady friends :)
He's still relatively jumpy, probably from the excitement but has calmed down immensely from how he was last night.