• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Crusty/scabby Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

REBrowning

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, my male guinea pig has this on his nose it looks like a big scab but it's solid and seems to be quite deep in him. I thought he had had a fight with another one of our guinea pigs and had gotten it from that but I don't think it's the case anymore. Is this something we should be worried about? Thanks for your help in advanced :)

rafanose.jpg

Hi, my male guinea pig has this on his nose it looks like a big scab but it's solid and seems to be quite deep in him. I thought he had had a fight with another one of our guinea pigs and had gotten it from that but I don't think it's the case anymore. Is this something we should be worried about? Thanks for your help in advanced :)

View attachment 43967

HI and welcome!

Please see a vet for it; it could be fungal, a bad case of cheilitis (lip infection) or a growth; difficult to say just from a picture.

As we have got members and enquiries from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details, so we can tailor any advice to what is available and possible where you are straight away. click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!

We have got a recommended UK vets locator on the top bar. Here is a link for recommended piggy savvy vets in some other countries: Veterinarians - The GLX-Files (Guinea Lynx)

Thank you for your quick reply, will add in these details :) is this likely to be contagious? Should we keep him away from our other guineas until a vet has seen him?

Thank you for your quick reply, will add in these details :) is this likely to be contagious? Should we keep him away from our other guineas until a vet has seen him?

@Abi_nurse

If it is cheilitis or a growth (which is more likely) then it is isn't. Cheilitis is usually caused by feeding too much fruit and tomato, which contains acid that causes tiny cracks in the lips into which fungal and bacteria can get into. someguinea pigs are more sensitive than others. I would recommend to stop feeding fruit and tomato until you have got a diagnosis from a knowledgeable vet.
If it is a crust, your vet may have to check for some issue in the nostril for URI (respiratory infection) that could have caused it.
Guinea Lynx :: Cheilitis

Thank you for adding your location. That helps with other members being able to give you local tips and recommendations and us knowing which medical brands etc. you are dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back