• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cuddling Time - Stretching, Yawning And Grooming

Isabela

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When I cuddle my piggies they are usually calm and lay down and enjoy the petting. They are also very vocal and are talking to me all the time. Todays one was stretching and yawning while being cuddled. She's usually shy. So this surprised me. The other one was also being cuddled after that and she started grooming herself. She was also licking my hand the whole time.
Can you tell me what these behavior means? Are they really starting to trust me and they are comfortable with me?

When I cuddle my piggies they are usually calm and lay down and enjoy the petting. They are also very vocal and are talking to me all the time. Todays one was stretching and yawning while being cuddled. She's usually shy. So this surprised me. The other one was also being cuddled after that and she started grooming herself. She was also licking my hand the whole time.
Can you tell me what these behavior means? Are they really starting to trust me and they are comfortable with me?

it tells you that she is happy and relax and that she loved the company she is in. Stretching and yawning is a strong sign that your guinea is feeling very secure where she is. Licking is the equivalent of kissing. Piggy washing in company is an offer of friendship.
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

it tells you that she is happy and relax and that she loved the company she is in. Stretching and yawning is a strong sign that your guinea is feeling very secure where she is. Licking is the equivalent of kissing. Piggy washing in company is an offer of friendship.
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Thank you very much for your answer. I'm very happy that they are trusting me and loving me the same way I love them. I'm about to get another guinea pig. Do you have any suggestions for the first meeting? :)

She sounds nice and relaxed. I love yawning pigs. Only some of my pigs have done this with the humans regularly... right now Hadley is the champion of a 'yawn, stretch, flop' move during lap time.

She sounds nice and relaxed. I love yawning pigs. Only some of my pigs have done this with the humans regularly... right now Hadley is the champion of a 'yawn, stretch, flop' move during lap time.

That's true I also love it when they do that. It makes you feel special. They really like the cuddling time. I see that your Hadley also looks relaxed and happy on your profile pic :luv:

Our first generation of piggies used to to that as well. The new ones are still getting used to us.
Brillo, who we got from an animal shelter last autumn and who died in January, was a very trusting piggie. He would just fall asleep on our laps. That poor piggie had been in such a bad state when police found him at his previous owner's home, so I have no idea why he was so trusting and relaxed from the start, but it was beautiful to see.

Our first generation of piggies used to to that as well. The new ones are still getting used to us.
Brillo, who we got from an animal shelter last autumn and who died in January, was a very trusting piggie. He would just fall asleep on our laps. That poor piggie had been in such a bad state when police found him at his previous owner's home, so I have no idea why he was so trusting and relaxed from the start, but it was beautiful to see.
That's so sad.. I will never understand why people do this. Thank God there's people like you that adopt them and give them a better home and love and care. Thank you! :hug::luv:

Back