• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Diarrhoea type poop in 2y/o sow pictures attached

Hnrpiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
I’m really scared right now, never had an issue quite like this.
my Guinea pig Blondie has either poo, or brown mucus coming out of her anus. There’s also been some blood but I don’t know if I caused that by wiping her and trying to open her genital area up to see what was happening..it’s definitely coming from her butt hole though. Most of the poo is staying attached to her body, hence why I’m wiping it away.
Ive booked in at the vets but can’t get an appointment any sooner than 11 hours from now. I’m worried she doesn’t make it through the night.
She seems fine in herself. She’s peeing. And moving around but she keeps making what sounds like a rumbling stomach or gas escaping kind of noise. She’s also refused fruit today and she loves fruit (as a rare treat of course)
Any idea what this is and what I can do for her until the vet appointment?

Attachments

• 5C929635-1AFF-4229-B783-B92BD3EE2E38.jpeg
    5C929635-1AFF-4229-B783-B92BD3EE2E38.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 95DF25B1-F8A0-45C8-9F3B-DB20667F9280.jpeg
    95DF25B1-F8A0-45C8-9F3B-DB20667F9280.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 8
Please take her off veggies now and only give her hay and pellets. If she’s lost/losing weight you have to step in with syringe feeding now. You can use soaked pellets for now.

I would consider the emergency (out of hours) vet if she’s had diarrhoea and bleeding. I’ll tag @Wiebke @VickiA @PigglePuggle @Piggies&buns

How Soon Should My Guinea Pig See A Vet? - A Quick Guide
She hasn’t had any veggies today. We tried her with half a grape which she didn’t eat so we tried her with a slice of apple which she also didn’t really eat (usually they’d be gone within a second) Other than that I’m not sure if she’s eaten today as I’ve been at work. She has had hay available. I’m gonna weigh her first thing in the morning. And will syringe feed her too.
I can’t get to an out of hours vet as it’s past midnight and my parents are asleep and the closest one is about 1 hour and a half drive away but I can’t drive.
I read somewhere to give her cucumber to keep her hydrated (she has three water bottles available but I’m not sure if she’s drinking) Should I avoid doing this?

Don’t give her any veg at all as her stool is soft. You also shouldn’t be offering fruit to try and tempt her to eat. Veg and pellets count as snacks, but hay is very important. In any case don’t give her any veg at all for now.

Is she still experiencing diarrhoea? I would weigh her now then offer her some softened pellets. Has she lost weight? If so, how much?
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

I'm going through I similar situation but sadly our outcome is not a positive one. My guinea started off like this. Then went to a mushy poop. The advice I would give you from my own experience now is to start critical care right away to keep her weight steady and take her to a vet. Stop all veggies.

Water based veggies make the diarrhoea worse that's what I have learnt recently.

Wishing your guines a quick recovery.

i agree with the advice siikibam has given you. Please do not give any vegetables or fruit at all. A piggy with diarrhoea/soft poops need fibre from hay and syringe feeds To settle the tummy. Adding veg and fruit at all will just make things more unsettled. Your piggy needs to be weighed daily and syringe fed if weight is being lost. The amount you syringe feeds depends entirely on what your piggy‘s weight is doing - losing weight, then not being syringe fed enough. Please also take your piggy to a vet today. You may also need to get hold of probiotic to help settle the guts.
Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Last edited:
Back