• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

rosieb

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have two young Guinea Pigs, one boy and one girl, and two newly adopted older girl Guinea Pigs. they live in the same enclosure, and I am just wondering if what I am seeing is normal herd behavior or if it is a cause for worry. The young boy rumble struts a lot. Him and one of the older girls will sometimes teeth chatter at each other. The older girls will butt their heads at the younger Guinea Pigs (primarily the girl) to get them out of hiding spots or to make them move while they are feasting on hay. The younger girl will "scream" somewhat when this happens although it never seems like they are attacking one another. Lastly, today the younger boy and girl got in a little tussle and wrestled a little, however there was no screeching or biting. I would say for the majority of the time the herd is peaceful. Are my Guinea Pigs okay? And can they be happy living together? Also, I am in my room pretty much 90% of the day due to the virus so I can watch them pretty closely.

How old is he?
If he is not neutered then he must be removed from the girls cage immediately. Boys can make their own babies from three weeks of age but aren’t usually neutered until 4 months of age. .He will also need to remain in a cage on his own for six weeks after he is neutered as they are still fertile within this time. He therefore cannot be in a cage with sows for many months.

Please remove him immediately and leave him in a cage on his own, but next to the girls for company, until six weeks after he is neutered. You will need to ensure his cage is secure so that he cannot escape and get in with the girls.
All of your girls will now need to be put on pregnancy watch also.

In terms of behaviour, rumbling is normal and the loud screaming from the girl is likely submission. However, as I’ve said, none of if is relevant as he cannot be in the cage with them. once he is neutered and you’ve determined whether the females are pregnant and after any pups are born, you will likely need to make different arrangements for living conditions - boars either need to be kept in pairs, or one neutered boar with any number of sows, assuming you cages are big enough.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/pregnancy-guide.109375/

Last edited:
How old is he?
If he is not neutered then he must be removed from the girls cage immediately. Boys can make their own babies from three weeks of age but aren’t usually neutered until 4 months of age. .He will also need to remain in a cage on his own for six weeks after he is neutered as they are still fertile within this time. He therefore cannot be in a cage with sows for many months.

Please remove him immediately and leave him in a cage on his own, but next to the girls for company, until six weeks after he is neutered. You will need to ensure his cage is secure so that he cannot escape and get in with the girls.
All of your girls will now need to be put on pregnancy watch also.

In terms of behaviour, rumbling is normal and the loud screaming from the girl is likely submission. However, as I’ve said, none of if is relevant as he cannot be in the cage with them. once he is neutered and you’ve determined whether the females are pregnant and after any pups are born, you will likely need to make different arrangements for living conditions - boars either need to be kept in pairs, or one neutered boar with any number of sows, assuming you cages are big enough.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/pregnancy-guide.109375/
Thank you SO MUCH. I wondered if he needed to be separated, but my vet seemed to think it was fine until he was neutered. I guess she wasn't very knowledgeable on Guinea Pigs in particular. I built a 2x4 C&C cage as soon as I saw your comment. I never intended to breed or anything like that, and when we got him they told us he was a girl. Again, thanks so much.

Thank you SO MUCH. I wondered if he needed to be separated, but my vet seemed to think it was fine until he was neutered. I guess she wasn't very knowledgeable on Guinea Pigs in particular. I built a 2x4 C&C cage as soon as I saw your comment. I never intended to breed or anything like that, and when we got him they told us he was a girl. Again, thanks so much.
They told you he was a girl, but somehow you found he was a boy, because you called him a boy in your original post? 🤔. Yet if someone hadn't comment to remove him, you'd still have kept them together 🙄

They told you he was a girl, but somehow you found he was a boy, because you called him a boy in your original post? 🤔. Yet if someone hadn't comment to remove him, you'd still have kept them together 🙄
I took them to the vet soon after I adopted them. They told me he was a boy but DIDNT think it was necessary to separate them. I am doing my best as their owner. Like I said he is getting neutered next week, and the vets said it was ok to keep them together until then.

I think you need to find yourself a new vet if they think it’s ok to keep them together....I don’t understand how a vet can think it’s ok to keep them together before he is neutered....

So youve got the three females together and now you’ve separated the boy out - that’s good. The girls need a 2x5 c&c to themselves to have enough space. You need to ensure the cage the boar is in is secure. C&c cages can be escaped from and a determined boar can easily get out. The boar needs to be kept in a cage by himself for six weeks after he is neutered, however if the females are pregnant then you need to plan for that as well, and living arrangements going forward.

Do read the pregnancy guides and begin the 10 week pregnancy watch on the sows

Oh dear. I’m very sorry for the terrible advice your vet has given you. Fingers crossed the ladies aren’t pregnant.

Try your best to keep him separated from the ladies. A boar can be very determined to get to female piggies. It sounds like despite the bad advice you’re a caring owner and what’s done has been done. It might be best you move him further away from the sows just to be safe and if he seems lonely add in a soft baby safe plush toy with him for company. Please keep us updated.

If someone is given wrong information it isn’t their fault. I can see why @rosieb would believe their vet, as vets are meant to knowledgable and give correct information. @rosieb only kept them together because their vet told them it would be fine.

I think you need to find yourself a new vet if they think it’s ok to keep them together....I don’t understand how a vet can think it’s ok to keep them together before he is neutered....

So youve got the three females together and now you’ve separated the boy out - that’s good. The girls need a 2x5 c&c to themselves to have enough space. You need to ensure the cage the boar is in is secure. C&c cages can be escaped from and a determined boar can easily get out. The boar needs to be kept in a cage by himself for six weeks after he is neutered, however if the females are pregnant then you need to plan for that as well, and living arrangements going forward.

Do read the pregnancy guides and begin the 10 week pregnancy watch on the sows
The girls currently have a 4'x6' cage! :) I will make sure it is secure, thank you for the advice!

Back