• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Do NOT Give Your Guinea Pigs Convenia Antibiotic

Hayls22

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My little baby Snugs passed away today. 😢
My partner and I took her to the vet along with our other two pigs because they had a mild cough. They were otherwise doing fine. Happy, lively, eating well. Only coughed a little at nighttime and we wanted to get them treated incase it turned into something worse like pneumonia (as we know pigs can go downhill quickly). The vet assessed them and said they seemed to be breathing well and thought it could be allergies but recommend we give them injections. We didn’t question the medication as we blindly trusted that the vet knew what she was doing. We were not told of the possible risks or side effects of this medication and had we known, we never would have agreed to give this to our poor babies. 6 days after the injection, Snugs passed away. We had been syringe feeding her critical care nutrients along with the other pigs as their appetite decreased after the injections. Snugs seemed a bit weak yesterday but still had some fight in her. We had no idea we would wake up to her dead this morning. She wasn’t even one year old.😭We have done some research and since found out that Convenia isn’t even licensed for guinea pigs. It’s licensed for cats and dogs. We’ve also read numerous reports of peoples pets dying soon after having this ‘medication’ administered, including cats and dogs. Please don’t let your pet anywhere near this drug and please do you research before allowing your pets to be given medication. Ask questions. Ask about possible risks. We wish we had. 😔💔

Attachments

• 7E9F45A6-A513-4BB5-A0BA-29303FF68F62.jpeg
    7E9F45A6-A513-4BB5-A0BA-29303FF68F62.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 13
How heartbreaking. I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Snugs. Thank you for sharing this information.

How heartbreaking. I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Snugs. Thank you for sharing this information.
Thank you. I hope this drug gets taken off the market. Digging deeper and deeper into research, it seems it causes more harm than good. There are plenty of other medications that don’t have such horrendous risks. 😔

Oh wow...so sorry for your loss. 😭

This is an old thread about the same drug and this was 2014! I can't believe vets are still prescribing it for guinea pigs. Convenia - Your Thoughts?
Thank you. I wish I saw this thread earlier. If this has taught me anything, it’s to question and research medication recommended by vets before agreeing to anything. And to not be so trusting of people.

I am so very sorry for your dreadful loss.
It’s been a few years since I can remember hearing of piggies being given Convenia. The dangers of it for guinea pigs have been well known for many years.
Are your other piggies ok?

I’m so sorry for your loss. Thank you so much for sharing this helpful information, it could save other piggies lives.
My thoughts are with you at this hard time 💕
Feel free to post a memorial for Snugs in the Rainbow Bridge Pets Section Rainbow Bridge Pets.

Hi and welcome!

BIG HUGS

I am very sorry that your piggy has become another victim of convenia. We have sadly seen a few fatalies from convenia over the years on this forum. Thankfully in the UK it has now made it into the vets online handbook for unsuitable guinea pig medications since we haven't seen it prescribed for several years now but this is unfortunately not the case in other countries. I am very sorry that you have found us too late. :(
Anyway, as a result convenia is already on our forum list of dangerous medications in our emergency link. Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

I would strongly recommend to complain in writing to your vet clinic management and to find another vet if possible.

Please be kind to yourself and look after any companions.
This link here may help you: Death, Dying, Terminal Illness, Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

PS: I have toned your title. All upper case titles make them much harder to read.

I am so very sorry for your dreadful loss.
It’s been a few years since I can remember hearing of piggies being given Convenia. The dangers of it for guinea pigs have been well known for many years.
Are your other piggies ok?
Thank you. I wish the Vet knew this. You would think someone whom is an ‘expert’ in their field would know better. 🤦🏼‍♀️One pig is doing okay although she initially had a bad reaction. The other pig was fine initially and now is having a bad reaction. She’s going downhill 😔 We’re syringe feeding her critical care, water and probiotics but she hates it.

Hi and welcome!

BIG HUGS

I am very sorry that your piggy has become another victim of convenia. We have sadly seen a few fatalies from convenia over the years on this forum. Thankfully in the UK it has now made it into the vets online handbook for unsuitable guinea pig medications but this is unfortunately not the case in other countries. I am very sorry that you have found us too late. :(
Anyway, as a result convenia is already on our forum list of dangerous medications in our emergency link. Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

I would strongly recommend to complain in writing to your vet clinic management and to find another vet if possible.

Please be kind to yourself and look after any companions.
This link here may help you: Death, Dying, Terminal Illness, Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

PS: I have toned your title. All upper case titles make them much harder to read.
Thank you so much for your condolences and this information. It is much appreciated. 🙏🏼

Sorry for your loss, :( I see from your location, you're in Vancouver, I have relatives live in Langley.

I'm so sorry for your loss, whenever my cat gets antibiotics I've always double checked it isnt convenia after seeing some awful stories, I hadn't even realised some vets would give it to piggies! How heartbreaking. I'm so, so sorry :(

Back