• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Dog safe indoor guinea pig set ups?

Flinty

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, lovely people!

I may soon be moving house, and in the new home I will finally be able to have my own dog (something I've thought about every day for a good few years)

I have two guinea pigs who currently live in a 6X2 CC enclosure, and I'm looking for ways in the new home for the enclosure to become as dog safe as possible. Of course I'll always be sensible with them not being left alone together etc, but the pigs will most likely live in the living room and so it is highly likely the pup will sometimes be there too. Should be getting a puppy so training will be in full force.

Can you recommend any particular tables to raise the pig's enclosure? I'm also open to ideas of new set ups. The girls could theoretically move outside but it's not something I really want to do, and Fig especially has been an indoor pig for most of her life.

Thank you in advance :)

I have mine on Ikea tables, but a lot will depend on the type and size of dog you get. I don't think just putting cages on a table would stop a large or high prey drive dog.

The advantage of Ikea tables is you can buy the top and legs separately, so pick something that suits your cages and height requirements.

How exciting, what type of dog are you getting?

I would also put a lid on the cage. But you will (as you said) have to be aware of the dog and not let it get too near or be in the room alone with them. There are several on here who have dogs and piggies, I just can’t remember them off the top of my head. Hopefully they’ll see it and be better able to advise you.

@Hannah_xx is one.

I have both. I also help teach puppy classes hence asking what type of pup as breed characteristics would probably influence how OTT they need to be setup wise.

Hi, most likely a show type cocker spaniel.
And amazing, I'm in Bristol now, about to move to Clevedon. Where abouts do you teach as we might be in need of puppy classes in the future!
Thanks so much for your advice :)

I have both. I also help teach puppy classes hence asking what type of pup as breed characteristics would probably influence how OTT they need to be setup wise.

So spaniels are very busy dogs and very scent driven, but cockers are obviously on the smaller side. I'd definately be thinking about raising the cage up so its not as accessible and a roof on your c&c. Supervision is key but it should be alot easier to train a spaniel to leave them alone than a high prey driven dog. I am a big scentwork fan and would probably look up something like talking dogs scentwork as most spaniels really like this and you can start them easily as puppies, it works their brain and all that thinking tires them and calms them down which is definately a plus around the piggies as they will be less interested in them. I help teach classes in Shirehampton (Furry Frolics) and the head trainer is the only human I trust with my dogs other than my husband so I can't rate her enough but if you are looking for something nearer then Bryony @ EYE2EYE Dogs is in Clevedon.

Back