• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Dominant Pig Bullying Other Pig Help!

should i separate them?

• yes?

• no?

• yes, but bond non dominant pig to a new pig?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guineapiglover2002

New Born Pup
Reaction score
i have two female guinea pigss around 3 years old (supposedly sisters)
and one has been very dominant(pie) over the other one(pickle) and is starting to hurt the other pig(pickle)
so i have come here for advice on weather to separate them? should i separate them, we have a spare cage(c&c) for if we need to separate them.
so if anyone could give me some help it would be much appreciated! also the dominant one(pie) doesnt mind being on her own were as the other(pickle) doesnt
like being on her own so would it be possible for us to bond her with another pig? and if so which gender a neuted male or a female?
thanks,
emma xx

Sorry to ask but just need to get background. Have these piggies always been together or is this a recent bonding?
What is Pie doing to Pickle and is there evidence of bite wounds?
What size is your hutch? Do you have 2 beds /bowls/ hideys to stop Pie ruling everything? Is Pickle able to get food and get away from Pie?

In general (but there are always exceptions) I wouldn't separate unless there is an injury. It may be that they are just settling in and you are seeing normal dominance behaviour.

Here is a useful link about sow behaviour Sow Behaviour

Sorry to ask but just need to get background. Have these piggies always been together or is this a recent bonding?
What is Pie doing to Pickle and is there evidence of bite wounds?
What size is your hutch? Do you have 2 beds /bowls/ hideys to stop Pie ruling everything? Is Pickle able to get food and get away from Pie?

In general (but there are always exceptions) I wouldn't separate unless there is an injury. It may be that they are just settling in and you are seeing normal dominance behaviour.

Here is a useful link about sow behaviour Sow Behaviour
the pigs have alway been a pair(from what the rescue said), 5 foot hutch but today have been in a 3x2+1x1(side bit) c&c cage which we are thinking of keeping them in, yes there is space for pickle to get away from pie with food, they have had two litter trays most of the time, pie is being on and off dominant today, with pickle starting to fight back a bit but I'm just being a bit wary seen as i dont want them to get hurt in anyway.

If you have changed their housing then they are probably trying to sort out dominance all over again. How long ago did you get them? If they are a bonded rescue pair then they will need a bit of time to sort out who is boss. @Wiebke she will give you more advice :)

the pigs have alway been a pair(from what the rescue said), 5 foot hutch but today have been in a 3x2+1x1(side bit) c&c cage which we are thinking of keeping them in, yes there is space for pickle to get away from pie with food, they have had two litter trays most of the time, pie is being on and off dominant today, with pickle starting to fight back a bit but I'm just being a bit wary seen as i dont want them to get hurt in anyway.

What you are likely witnessing is a new round of dominance behaviour in a new territory. Nipping (a carefully judge genture of letting an underpiggy feel the teeth without breaking the skin) and loud submission squeaking can throw the unexperienced owner.Please leave them be and let them sort it out. make sure that you haven't got any hideys with just one exit in the cage until thing settle down, so no piggy can get caught in a corner.
Apart from the link that @VickiA has given you, these threads here may also help you to understand what is going on:
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Illustrated Bonding Behaviours And Dynamics (has got a chapter about dominance behaviours and dynamics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back