• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Ear biting!

Piggie mama

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Help! My submissive piggie just bit my dominant ones ear, the dominant pig didn't move or react and isn't hurt at all, and is now led by the submissive one quite happily. I've never seen them do this before, what's going on?

Help! My submissive piggie just bit my dominant ones ear, the dominant pig didn't move or react and isn't hurt at all, and is now led by the submissive one quite happily. I've never seen them do this before, what's going on?

It sounds like your underpiggy has taken over. Ear nibbling is the friendliest way of inviting another piggy into the group they are leading.
Bonding: Illustrated Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

I guess it's possible, never imagined my underpig would even try take over, he's 500g smaller than the one I thought was dominant! And the bigger one is always rumble strutting about with the smaller one just accepting it

It sounds like your underpiggy has taken over. Ear nibbling is the friendliest way of inviting another piggy into the group they are leading.
Bonding: Illustrated Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
I guess it's possible, I never thought my underpig would even try for dominance, he's 500g lighter than the one I thought was dominant! The bigger one is always rumble strutting arround too and the smaller one never takes any notice expect to run away sometimes

I guess it's possible, I never thought my underpig would even try for dominance, he's 500g lighter than the one I thought was dominant! The bigger one is always rumble strutting arround too and the smaller one never takes any notice expect to run away sometimes

If he is a boy, then he is making his manly presence known to the sows! ;) You didn't include the genders set-up, so I assumed you meant a same sex pair.

Both of mine are males :)

How old is your smaller one? Boars start pushing the boundaries when the testicles descend and the testosterone spikes hit. That includes ear biting. I've just seen that with my own teenage youngster.

In any case, it is the mildest and friendliest of dominance behaviours. ;)

My older one is 1yr and 5months and the youngest is 9months :) so I guess theyre the right age for that sort of thing, okay Thankyou for reassuring me, I don't need to seporate for ear biting then? Unless it gets agressive and or draws blood?

Ear nibbling is a friendly family thing and is different to ear biting with injuries. My pigs nibble each others' ears constantly but there's never any injury, its like a herd politics thing. I think it shows friendly dominance but inclusivity like just to pigs who are considered family :)

My older one is 1yr and 5months and the youngest is 9months :) so I guess theyre the right age for that sort of thing, okay Thankyou for reassuring me, I don't need to seporate for ear biting then? Unless it gets agressive and or draws blood?

No, no need at all for separating! your two boys are best of friends!

Okay Thankyou for all your help! I swear they give me so thing new to worry about everyday! They're my first pair of guinea pigs and I'm trying so hard to get everything perfect for them :)

Please read the behaviour links I have given you; you will find them very helpful in judging the interaction. ;)

I’m sure piggy behaviour is designed to worry new slaves.
Glad the forum is proving helpful.
I know I’ve found the advice and support invaluable and great for stress relief.

Back