• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Arwen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a relatively new guinea pig owner, and I seem to be having a problem right now. My girl's left ear always had two patches of black skin, and we thought nothing of it, I kind is dismissed it as just the colour of her skin. But Today I can see one of the patches of black is dangling of her ear, almost like it's a scar falling off, even though it still look like it's under/part of her skin. there are also white things on that ear in particular, sort of like dead skin/dandruff. She is a pet store piggie (I know I should not have done that). I'm afraid it might be mites, be we keep her cage clean and do a complete clean off every three days. Anyone know what's wrong with her? Any help is really appreciated right now, thanks!

This is definitely something that warrants a vet check . The white flakes may be owing to a fungal problem -but a vet check will get a proper diagnosis and get her started on the right treatment .
If you recently got your piggy - the pet store may help you out with the cost of vet treatment .

I think you need to get a vet to diagnose this quickly. There are a few things it might be, one of which is ringworm. Ringworm is a fungal infection, not a worm, but it is highly contagious, and can be caught by humans. If it is this, it is treatable and curable, but you need a prescribed treatment as the over the counter stuff doesn't really work. The pet shop should cover your costs for any veterinary treatment for whatever is wrong with her ear as she had it when you bought her. Good luck

Veterinarians: California - Guinea Lynx Records for vets in your area

As said above needs a vet visit to find out what is going on there. Could be a fungal infection or some other skin issue. It isn't to do with being clean, unfortunately no matter how clean our piggies are and we keep their area they can still get fungal issues and things like that.

Hope a vet can sort your girl out quickly and it proves to be nothing serious.
What's her name?
Pictures please.

Could be a fungal infection or some other skin issue. It isn't to do with being clean, unfortunately no matter how clean our piggies are and we keep their area they can still get fungal issues and things like that.

:agr:

... And some fungal infections are not the dreaded ringworm. And sometimes they can be triggered by stress.

All the more reason to get a correct diagnosis.

Hi everyone,
I'm a relatively new guinea pig owner, and I seem to be having a problem right now. My girl's left ear always had two patches of black skin, and we thought nothing of it, I kind is dismissed it as just the colour of her skin. But Today I can see one of the patches of black is dangling of her ear, almost like it's a scar falling off, even though it still look like it's under/part of her skin. there are also white things on that ear in particular, sort of like dead skin/dandruff. She is a pet store piggie (I know I should not have done that). I'm afraid it might be mites, be we keep her cage clean and do a complete clean off every three days. Anyone know what's wrong with her? Any help is really appreciated right now, thanks!

Please see a vet. It sounds like a fungal infection, but we cannot (and are legally not allowed to) provide a diagnosis without seeing a piggy and giving it a hands-on examination. What we can tell you is when and how quickly to see a vet and help you to ask the right questions or give you pointers as which avenues to pursue.

With a diagnosis and the correct treatment, you should get on on top it pretty straight forward. Please be aware that some fungal is highly infective and transmittable between species, included humans (ringworm). You will need a good anti-fungal disinfectant (most disinfectants are antibacterial only), good hygiene and washing any fabrics in contact with your guinea pig (including your clothing) at a higher temperature.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

If this is happening within 2 weeks of the sale, you can reclaim any vet cost from the pet shop by presenting the bill together with your sales receipt.

Sending lots of healing vibes, let us know how you get on at the vets!

Hi,
Thank you all for such wonderful replies and healing vibes :)
And since so many people asked, her name is Peggy. Unfortunately, I cannot get any pictures through at this time, though I'll keep trying. The thing on her ear is completely gone by now, and her ear still looks normal, but everyone is still pretty worried. We are currently trying to schedule a vet appointment, and I'll keep everyone updated in case things turn better/worse.

Back