1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Emeprid For Bloat?

Discussion in 'Health & Illness' started by CraigGlasgow, Jan 5, 2017.

1. VickiA

VickiA Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd say your little man is on the mend. I always knew when Connie was on the mend when she would resist the syringe feed and then immediately go and park herself in the hay tray and stuff her face - as if to show me she was getting there. Sounds like he's doing ok, too. Get some rest yourself. Caring for sick piggies is exhausting.

CraigGlasgow and Teddybear22 like this.
  2. Teddybear22

Teddybear22 Rescue Buddy
    Forum Donator 2016/17

Hurray for the poops! I'm really glad things are looking better :hug:

CraigGlasgow likes this.
  3. CraigGlasgow

CraigGlasgow Junior Guinea Pig

Certainly looks that way, he's looking much better after missing his morning baytril and is wolfing down lots of hay :D

Thanks for all your help and support guys, you're amazing! :)

Teddybear22 likes this.
  4. VickiA

VickiA Moderator
    Staff Member

We are just glad to offer support to a fellow piggy slave. It can feel very lonely dealing with these issues. There are many of us all round the world who have been through it, so if we can help we are happy to do so.
    The forum is a wonderfully warm and friendly community. There's plenty going on apart from health issues, bonding troubles etc. If you fancy a giggle and you haven't already seen it take a look at Tim's thread about his attempts to make snuggles for his piggies. My Sewing Skills. . . It got derailed by the usual suspects!

eileen, CraigGlasgow and Teddybear22 like this.
  5. CraigGlasgow

Update again: Now pooping, eating and drinking fine but small amount of bloody urine just started a few minutes ago. Called the emergency vet and he's back on the Baytril and needs monitoring overnight again then the vets asap tomorrow if it continues after the baytril being restarted. Got him on Probiotics this time (I just put them in the water bottle, wasn't sure if they should be syringe fed or not?) So hopefully the bloat will stay off for the night and I'll only need to worry about the urine!

6. Teddybear22

Teddybear22 Rescue Buddy
    Forum Donator 2016/17

I'm sorry to hear some new complications appeared :no:
    I would syringe feed the probiotic though, that way you know for sure he's drinking it. The problem with putting such things in their water bottles is that you never now the real amount they have drunk in the end and it might be less than needed.

VickiA and CraigGlasgow like this.
  7. VickiA

VickiA Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh no, sorry to hear about the blood in his urine. Please give the probiotic about an hour after the Baytril to allow the Baytril time to work.

CraigGlasgow likes this.
  8. CraigGlasgow

He's just passed a clear urine a few minutes ago so hopefully it was just a blip. He's already had a wee drink from his bottle but I'll swap it out now for some water for the next hour. What amount does the probiotic need to be given in if syringing? The box just says to add to the water bottle at 200ml per scoop.

9. eileen

Forum Donator 2016/17

i hope you get the problem sorted at the vets,it is a very worrying time when our furbabies are poorly.:hug:

CraigGlasgow likes this.
  10. VickiA

VickiA Moderator
    Staff Member

I never know the correct dosage for probiotic. I usually sprinkle pro c onto a few veggies, but that's not an option for you - so perhaps just make up a small amount - a pinch in some water and then syringe it. Some is better than none. I'll tag @helen105281 as she may know the dosage rate.

Teddybear22 and CraigGlasgow like this.
  11. VickiA

VickiA Moderator
    Staff Member

Just realised you've given the dosage - duh :mal::mal:. Just scale it down and make up a small amount. No need to be precise with it.

helen105281 and CraigGlasgow like this.
  12. CraigGlasgow

Indeed. I'd be less worried if I had him insured but I stupidly put it off when I first got them and then forgot about it :/ hopefully he starts getting better before I go decimate all my savings haha!

He's just passed a good amount of clear urine again and a few poops and then eaten a fair bit of hay so looking positive for the minute!

Teddybear22 and VickiA like this.
  13. VickiA

VickiA Moderator
    Staff Member

Stay positive.

CraigGlasgow likes this.
  14. CraigGlasgow

Thanks Vicki :)

I made up enough for both his bottles and a bit to spare in the jug so I'll give him the leftovers in a wee bit.

15. Adelle

Forum Donator 2016/17

Just a pinch of proc in 1ml water syringed 1-2 hours after the baytril Is fine:-) keep his water bottle for just water.

If he bloats with the baytril get the vet to change it to Septrin- gentle antibiotic and great for uti's :-)

The initial bloating may be due to this infection brewing, the guts often change before something shows up x

Teddybear22 and CraigGlasgow like this.
  16. CraigGlasgow

Thanks Adelle, so just give him 1ml then? Or does it need to be 1ml every few hours?

I'll ask the vet about that in the morning, thanks for the tip :) he's still passing feces fine for now so maybe it wasn't the baytril agravating the bloat but better safe than sorry!

Bloating seems to be staying down for now so hopefully you're right :)

17. CraigGlasgow

Also for syringing watery liquids, am I right in remembering you do it 0.1ml at a time from the side of the mouth behind the teeth to ensure they don't choke?

18. CraigGlasgow

That's him just passed another clear urine :)

19. Adelle

Forum Donator 2016/17

Just add a generous pinch of the pro-c to 1ml water, give him it 1-2 hours after every dose of baytril.

Yes syringe into the side of the mouth, pointing sideways (not towards the throat) and press on the syringe gently so it trickles out. 0.2ml at a time should be fine but if he resists just do 0.1ml so it's all going down the right way.

Hopefully the bloat is just because he had a UTI brewing (they can be there for some time before they actually show red blood in the urine) and it set off again last night because the UTI was at its strongest point.

Here's hoping sorting the UTI will sort the bloat too :-)

VickiA, Teddybear22 and CraigGlasgow like this.
  20. CraigGlasgow

Awesomes, thanks Adelle. He's just had a wee run around and drank and eaten plenty so he's snoozing just now but I'll try and give him some once he's up. I always hate syringing liquids, feels very delicate! :S

He's peed another 3 times with no blood and is still pooping just less frequently so hopefully he'll be fine for tonight until I get him to the vet tomorrow :)

VickiA and Teddybear22 like this.