• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Expansion

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
I knew I would need a larger cage so I went and bought another (100) ferplast to expand the boys' home. They seem to like it, I heard them running around just now and there was a bit of popcorning earlier on.

IMG_4444.JPG

I used the wood hide as a bridge but Toffee seemed to miss the point (Fudge had climbed onto/over it before). He's just climbing/jumping over the gap. Is that ok? Ramp ideas are welcome.

He looks quite happy just jumping over, he'll probably use the log tunnel when he's older and less agile if not before so I would leave it there so they get used to seeing it. 2 of my boars have a log tunnel to access their loft, I didn't expect them to still be using it now (approx 9 months) but they still leap up log tunnels and sit on top.
One word of caution though, my Bracken hurt his leg/foot when it went through a gap in one of the natural tunnels. I gave the natural ones to my older sedate boars who only sit under and got some tunnels from The Range that don't have gaps.

Great idea. The boys will love extra floor space more than a loft so I think you made a good choice.

@piggieminder thats worried me a bit! I may fashion some fleece or something to cover it with...that would work right? :eek:
@Eileen's Mum thank you. They seem to as they just had a case of the zoomies a short while ago :woot: I want to make more things for them but first the cage liners as I'm now out of shavings. I'll have to sacrifice some sleep tomorrow afternoon and get them done. Then I can change them out completely.

Sorry I didn't want to worry you, but Bracken was lucky he didn't get a nasty injury. You may not have big gaps in yours. A fleece might work but it may slip. There's someone on ebay who sells ramps that are shaped to go over the sides of the cages. This is the type of log tunnel I prefer the logs are touching each other
SUNP0014.JPG
The colours look more natural after it's washed, you can just see an older one in rh corner. I am assured the colours are pet safe.

That's ok @piggieminder better I know. Overall the gaps are very small but there's one or two where their foot could get caught. I'll see about looking for an alternative. Do you know the sellers name on eBay?

Coloured Log Den,House,Ramp or Shelf Chinchilla, Rat,Degu, guinea pig Cage | eBay
I found this tunnel. There's a Trixie Ramp which is similar to what I mean but I don't like that one it looks a bit narrow and steep, for some reason ebay won't let me link it. If you put guinea pig ramp in search there are 3 of those listed at the moment. There is someone who sells on eaby who makes a nicer one but he's not there at the moment, sorry I don't know sellers name. I just know all this because I was looking for something for mine to climb out the C&C at floor time. I just use log tunnel at the mo.
Good luck with your search.

I did the exact same with my piggies. I have two boys and joined two 100 ferplasts together. We fashioned a bridge using some wood from wickes that was protected and safe for the piggies. We glued on small half cylinders as grip and they love it!

Coloured Log Den,House,Ramp or Shelf Chinchilla, Rat,Degu, guinea pig Cage | eBay
I found this tunnel. There's a Trixie Ramp which is similar to what I mean but I don't like that one it looks a bit narrow and steep, for some reason ebay won't let me link it. If you put guinea pig ramp in search there are 3 of those listed at the moment. There is someone who sells on eaby who makes a nicer one but he's not there at the moment, sorry I don't know sellers name. I just know all this because I was looking for something for mine to climb out the C&C at floor time. I just use log tunnel at the mo.
Good luck with your search.

they sell a longer, bigger version of that ramp in The Range for a lot cheaper! I used to use it as a bridge for them but my brother made a proper bridge for them. They are both equally as effective and the rainbow bridge that you can buy is a lot cheaper than making one x

You could make a 'pillowslip' out of fleece to cover it. That wouldn't come off. Might look good actually.

Back