• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bumbling-bambi

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I'm in the market to potentially change the pellet food that my boys are getting at the moment because what they are on currently seems to be putting weight on them very quickly! I don't want pudgy pigs!

Can anyone recommend me some good foods to try out - i prefer to give them the selective type pellet food so they can't just pick out what they want and leave what they dont!
They have about a cup each during the course of the day (i split it half and half so theres no wasting it!) as well as their daily veggies and as much hay as they can stuff down their little furry faces! (2 large feeders filled in the morning and at night)

they are both sitting at about 1.3kg which i understand is a fairly good weight and as far as body condition goes they aren't storing too much fat - just enough that no ribs or boney bits can be felt!

Roughly once a month or so they also have a probiotic added to their water for a little bit of a vitamin boost - this is usually when i feel they haven't for whatever reason had as much or as varied range of veg as i would like. I know a lot of people say this is mostly for use when treating illness or in older piggies but it seems to help them when for whatever reason they haven't had as much or as varied range of veg and could probably do with a little boost!

I've had horses in the past and as a result i like to be careful to make sure all my animals have the healthiest and most nutritionally complete diet i can give them - this slight obsession goes for the pigs too!
Any recommendations would be wonderful! So far they have been on Supreme's science selective (probably my favourite - it just didn't seem to be allowing them to put on weight properly, they could maintain their current weights at the time but they were much too thin and needed some meat on their bones!) I don't think its a case of them not liking it as they ate it up like it was going out of fashion but i just don't think it is that well suited to pigs who need to put on a bit of weight - or at least not for these two!
and they are currently having natures feast which although they like (probably because it has little bits in!) they have put on quite a bit of weight on it and aren't showing any signs of slowing down!
I'm not sure of how good this stuff is but the ingredients looked fine in the breakdown but as for quality this is the first time I've used it so i couldn't comment!

I weigh them weekly to check how they are doing - mostly due to the fact they were fairly underweight when i first brought them home but as we are all told to make sure there is nothing going on health wise i should be worried about and if there is to catch it nice and early!

My girls started off with Science Selective but are now on Nature's feast. They clean out the bowl's everytime.

Mine do as well but i just worry that they keep putting on lots of weight quite quickly one it. its been a good couple of months since i changed them over and their are getting to the point now if they dont level out soon they are going to be huge! I dont think its fair on them to allow them to put so much weight on so young as they are less than a year old!

I use low carb - grain free pellets and the piggies like them Versele-Laga Cavia Complete Guinea Pig Food | Free P&P £29+

"Cavia Complete is a complete and tasty food for guinea pigs, made from 100% easily digestible, extruded pellets. Each pellet contains the same balanced mixture of ingredients, which is optimally adapted to suit the nutritional physiology of guinea pigs. Selective feeding is impossible with this food.

Cavia Complete Guinea Pig Food contains no grains. This complete food also includes 20% crude fibre to aid digestion and promote a healthy intestinal flora, further supported by the added prebiotics FOS and MOS. The long fibres in these pellets also ensure natural, healthy abrasion of guinea pigs' constantly growing teeth."

Mine are on natures feast after refusing to eat versele laga, science selective and burgess. They love the natures feast.

I feed mine Science Selective guinea pig food. I have tried many different foods in the past and this is the firm favourite between my girls so that is what I stick to. I also find that they love Natures Touch food as a treat. I would love to feed it all the time but it is so expensive.

I feed a mixture of burgess excell,harringtons pellets,johnsons advance pellets,science selective,change them each month,so do not get fixated on one pellet !:)

Mine also eat Cavia Complete, which they love.

I also wanted to add that you might want to take a look at the amount of pellets you feed.
A cup each day per pig is a huge amount! For fully grown piggies an egg cup per day is about right, so if you are happy with your current pellets, then it might just be enough to cut down the amounts you feed.

Ours have Burgess. The girls are 7 months old now and I have cut their pellets down from 40g per pig each day to 25g each. I still think this might be too much from reading advice on here. A cup full does sound a lot, maybe you could weigh it out?

My three are on Burgess mint, and they love them. As all of mine are under 6 months old, they have unlimited pellets.

The girls will be rationed in several weeks time, but I will start to gradually reduce their pellet amount soon. I am expecting squeaks of protest...but they do have unlimited Timothy hay...with a handful of meadow hay for variety.

High l recently joined but not being up on all phones l have problems,but my pigs are gorgeous,they have fresh mixture of veg in mornings and salad,meadow hay in abundance also pellets in five bowls fresh water.There are six 2 neutered boars and 4sows of different ages,Four we had in July and two sows we rescued in September 4months old,Four are out on grass with veg till end of Sept ,they all live together in two huge cages with tunnel and ramps joining both ,Altogether they have 5ft by 6ft three levels other 5ft by 5ft and they can have own space occasionally they disagree but they are thriving so must be doing something wright

In general I prefer to feed a mixture/ rotation of foods rather than just one; my two are currently on a mixture of Burgess blackcurrant & oregano, and Rosewood's Meadow Menu.

For fully grown piggies an egg cup per day is about right, so if you are happy with your current pellets, then it might just be enough to cut down the amounts you feed.
I want to check how much I'm feeding mine each day now compared to that, but my eggcups are the wire ones!

My two adore the Burgess mint, and they currently get a bowl between them which is only refilled when empty (they're four months each). Usually takes around a day, day and a half.

I kind of wish they didn't like it, mind you. I really can't stand mint >.>

When I've given mine fresh mint, they haven't been interested...may try the Burgess mint sometime.

Mine get Science Selective guinea pig pellets - 1/8 of a cup per pig per day. They have fresh veggies in the morning and evening and a constant supply of timothy hay, so they don't really need more than that I don't think.

Mine get Mazuri pellets. Plus timothy hay of course, & I also feed fresh veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back