• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Fleece and how much to buy!

Nataloo

New Born Pup
Hi guys! I have three piggies that have so much energy. I’ve been wanting to build them a larger enclosure since adopting our latest Guinea pig, Sati. I’ve heard a lot about fleece and the you haul pads and that’s what I’ve decided on. So far, we’re building them a 4.5 ft x 4.5 ft enclosure out of C&C but was wondering how much fleece I would need because I’ve heard that it does shrink in the wash. I don’t sew, so I was looking at the no-sew options. Thank you in advance! (The 4.5x4.5 enclosure is not going to be their only space, just a simple start :) )

Seven7

Junior Guinea Pig
Welcome.
You might not even need to saw if you can secure the fleece to the sides. I have a playpen for Finn and Lara and fleece is not sewn just secured with the grids. I put puppy pee pads on the bottom of their playpen then just place the fleece over it. Cleaning is much easier also because I throw away the puppy pee pad and just wash the fleece.

The fleece beddings on both of their cages are all sewn to fit the sizes. I also have small fleece pee pads to place on high traffic area on top of the fleece bedding, which are sewn.

Cuddles With Cavies

Junior Guinea Pig
I don’t make my liners (cause I’m about as crafty as a carrot) but I always ask the lady who makes my liners to make them just a couple of inches longer and wider than the size I actually want. I find this is more than enough to compensate shrinking.

Nataloo

New Born Pup
Thank you both of you! Answers all my questions. We plan on potty training our piggies with a “litter box” with some of their bedding that’s soiled and some that’s new. So hopefully that cuts down a little on the mess they make lol. Our pigs are very high maintenance but we love them ❤️

Seven7

Junior Guinea Pig
Mine do most of their pee and poo in the hay tray. This cut down the cleaning time in half. I throw away the soiled hay along with puppy pee pads underneath the hay tray.

Fleece pee-pads are changed every 3 days, and fleece lining is changed every week. I wash the fleece bedding with soap and water then soak them in vinegar to kill bacteria. I wash their cages with soap and water then wipe down with vinegar.