Fleece And Stinky Cage

Diane Owen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Help I've only had fleece for day and a half and it's smelly already, what have I done wrong?

Reenie

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
They might be scent marking it because it's new. Also, did you wash it a few times? Can't think of anything else...anyone?

Pawz

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is there anything under the fleece or is it filled liner?

Diane Owen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Is there anything under the fleece or is it filled liner?
It's home made, mattress protector sandwiched between fleece for main liner and towel sandwiched
between fleece for pee pads please help they pong lol x

Pawz

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's home made, mattress protector sandwiched between fleece for main liner and towel sandwiched
between fleece for pee pads please help they pong lol x

Hmm I have not tried fleece+mattress protector but that sounds very thin and not very absorbent judging by the mattress protectors I see locally. I would have leaned toward using the mattress protector as the waterproof base with something absorbent on top of it and then the fleece top.

Are the pee pads also stinking badly?

Pawz

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Fire the record my piggy liners were either fleece<Zorb>fleece or fleece<Zorb>water resistant backing material.

Neither smelled much at all and I only needed to change the Fleece<Zorb>fleece ones weekly. For extra precaution I sat those on disposal baby changing sheets but they rarely soaked thru. Zorb can be quite pricey though.

These were in a 2x5 c&c with only 2 piggies in. Smaller cages smell more and also how many pigs per cage size also factors in. Also used their loft area as a hay loft and sat a kitten litter tray there with some extra pee pads or just extra pee pads which I cleaned regularly.
Piggies pee most as they eat so around the hay area is where you will find the trouble spots are in a large cage.

Last edited:

Diane Owen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hmm I have not tried fleece+mattress protector but that sounds very thin and not very absorbent judging by the mattress protectors I see locally. I would have leaned toward using the mattress protector as the waterproof base with something absorbent on top of it and then the fleece top.

Are the pee pads also stinking badly?
It all stinks x

Louise's Zoo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The only thing in my cages that start to smell are the litter trays if they have a lot of hay in and then the hay gets pee'd on. The fleece never smells and some of mine pee on it a lot. The babies just pee everywhere but the fleece doesn't smell. I use disposable incontinence pads underneath (like puppy pads but bigger).

As mentioned above, they could be scent marking? I did read on here that if you change everything in one go, bedding, fleece liner, tunnels etc, they will smell more for the first day as the pigs like to re-scent mark everything. What I read to do it not change everything in one go, just change the fleece but leave all the beds etc or change the beds but leave the fleece.

Diane Owen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Fire the record my piggy liners were either fleece<Zorb>fleece or fleece<Zorb>water resistant backing material.

Neither smelled much at all and I only needed to change the Fleece<Zorb>fleece ones weekly. For extra precaution I sat those on disposal baby changing sheets but they rarely soaked thru. Zorb can be quite pricey though.

These were in a 2x5 c&c with only 2 piggies in. Smaller cages smell more and also how many pigs per cage size also factors in. Also used their loft area as a hay loft and sat a kitten litter tray there with some extra pee pads or just extra pee pads which I cleaned regularly.
Piggies pee most as they eat so around the hay area is where you will find the trouble spots are in a large cage.
I really don't want to go back to shavings I might try corn

Pawz

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How new are the piggies? Or is the cage new? If it's either or both then they might still be working out who is the boss and THAT can cause some crazy pee spraying stink.

New territory or dominance squabbles can really smell even with females which is why I always chose an old blanket in the bath for introducing any pigs to a group.

Diane Owen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
How new are the piggies? Or is the cage new? If it's either or both then they might still be working out who is the boss and THAT can cause some crazy pee spraying stink.
I've had them 2weeks so very new boy do they stink x

Pawz

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've had them 2weeks so very new boy do they stink x

They may well be still trying to work out who is top pig. Also I am not sure if it's just the camera angle but the cage looks like it might be a bit on the small side for 2 boars.

Do you have the measurements? :tu:

Diane Owen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
They may well be still trying to work out who is top pig. Also I am not sure if it's just the camera angle but the cage looks like it might be a bit on the small side for 2 boars.

Do you have the measurements? :tu:
This is what the pet shop gave me

Pawz

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Are they boys? I've heard boys can be pretty stinky!

Boar musk can be a bit whiffy but once they have worked out the ranking and have enough space to avoid each other when they feel they need to then they tend to smell a lot less.
The only flare up might be when they hit teenage piggy hormonal stage and have another battle for leadership.