• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fleece bedding - how much hay?

AlvieOB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Currently, my two boys are in a C&C cage with Aubiose bedding (similar to wood shavings. We cover the whole floor with hay, so they never walk on bedding, they walk on hay.
We are going to switch over to fleece bedding. Do we need to cover the floor with hay, or are they okay with a hay twisty and maybe a hay house?

Most people who use fleece have a tray or box full of hay for the piggies to burrow or sit in, along with some sort of container for eating hay. We have just switched to fleece, and Squeaks seems to spend most of his time buried in his hay tray, unless he gets an urge to have some carrot cottage instead.

I also use fleece that covers the whole cage and a hay tray is an excellent idea.
As a tip, I also place a hay feeding rack above the hay tray as this way they also have fresh stuff to eat.

I personally don't use hay as bedding because it smells within 24 hours as it does not absorb pee and remains wet. Fleece is the opposite it absorbs and dries very well so there is no need to put hay all over the floor.

Back