• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fleece Bedding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akvelins

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! I have owned piggies for a long time now and I want to try out fleece bedding, I have used wood shavings since I got them. My question is, what do you find the best to use under the fleece? I'm thinking of puppy pads + towels and then fleece on top. I know many of you use uhaul pads and different liners but I can't purchase these here where I live. How many layers of towels should I use? Thanks for advice!

On the bottom of my cage I have a waterproof bed sheet (cut to size) that has a slightly flocked top (if that makes sense).
On top of this I put my liner, which is fleece with a layer of toweling or zorb in the middle, and then fleece on the back.

I find that by using smaller fleece pee pads in the corners, that I don't need to change the main liner that often, and I rarely have to change the waterproof base layer.

If you aren't using ready made liners then try 1 layer of fleece, 1 layer of towels, and then a layer of puppy pads on the bottom.
You will quickly work out which areas need more protection.

Oh, I have one more question: is it okay to use only puppy pads under the fleece? (They are both litter trained, they rarely pee on the fleece) I think I can add a layer of newspapers too but I don't have any towels I could use in the cage in hand at the moment.

I think that would be fine if they rarely pee on the fleece.
All you can really do is try and see what works.
Mine rarely pee on the fleece too, and when they do it is one pig (I am looking at you Oreo) and in one spot (the bottom of the ramp for some weird reason) so I always make sure I have an extra pee pad there.

I have some ready made fleece liners and then I sometimes use puppy pads with fleece on top or towels with fleece on top but with both options I use a pvc table cloth just incase!

I'm using vet fleece, which is nice and thick and can be vacuumed, and a washable incontinence pad underneath that lasts 2 days, or towels and puppy pads that last one day. I have a horse bag for washing the fleece and pad, to keep hay out of the machine.

I use incontinence pads for humans with the fleece on top. I have recently started adding extra pads to the pee area, so all I have to do mid week is remove it and there is a clean one underneath.

Do I really need to use towels? I have got extra fleece blankets for animals from my local petshop for £1 each, which I could use in the main pee corner.

I used to use fleece with puppy pads underneath, lasted a few days before it started to get a bit smelly. Can I suggest if you do go for puppy pads and you are in the uk homebargins do a pack of 100 for about 15 quid and used to last me a while and i had a huge c and c cage !

I use puppy pads in the playpen, and change them every 2 days or so. Incontinence pads absorb more liquid, but I only notice the smell when I clean them out weekly, and I do poo cleans daily. I don't know if my nose is getting desensitised to piggy wee....

I'm sure we don't notice the smell as much as visitors! I wash my vet fleece once a week but it still doesn't smell that bad even then. Because it's so thick, I can put it on the floor and vacuum it but I still put it in a horsebag for washing/drying.

Yes, I love my horse bag. Bright orange, so I cannot lose it!

Well, I have additional incontinence pads in high pee areas, so when I change it tomorrow night (Monday) I will find out on Friday if the smell is as bad when I do the full cage clean. my OH has a particular nose for animal smells, and he has not commented yet. I don't think it's as bad as I am making out...

Yes, I love my horse bag. Bright orange, so I cannot lose it!

Well, I have additional incontinence pads in high pee areas, so when I change it tomorrow night (Monday) I will find out on Friday if the smell is as bad when I do the full cage clean. my OH has a particular nose for animal smells, and he has not commented yet. I don't think it's as bad as I am making out...

My horse bag is bright green , they are great for saving the washing machine ! I found that my fleece did stink a bit, but perhaps i wasn't using the good stuff like others ! I always apologise before visitors come in for the smell now, its not stinky just the smell of shavings and hay but some people still don't accept that its not a pee or poo smell ! :roll:
But it hasnt been so bad since my boars move outside :no: and the girls got their own room :love:

I have two sows, and I do not apologise to visitors. I clean the pen every 2 days so there's no smell from the pen except from the hay.

The C&C cage is in the back room, along with the hamster's Zoozone2, and visitors do not go in there.

The fleece I use are throws from B&M bargain (2 for £9) or cheap pet fleece so they are nothing special. I can't use liners as I don't think my machine would fit in the 5x2 length ones. And I don't want to spend £66 on two of them if I can't wash them.

I have two sows, and I do not apologise to visitors. I clean the pen every 2 days so there's no smell from the pen except from the hay.

The C&C cage is in the back room, along with the hamster's Zoozone2, and visitors do not go in there.

The fleece I use are throws from B&M bargain (2 for £9) or cheap pet fleece so they are nothing special. I can't use liners as I don't think my machine would fit in the 5x2 length ones. And I don't want to spend £66 on two of them if I can't wash them.

My visitors don't even accept the smell of hay which is why apologise to them (i shouldnt really because its the pigs house not theirs anyway lol), and they were always in the living area until i built up a good herd, then they were more interested in each others company than ours so they moved into the office upstairs.

The handmade liners for me were very good but did seem very heavy and bulky, and they took ages to dry. Just plain old fleece throws like you have are the way to go.

Thank you, JordanAimee I have been wondering if the fleece I have is good enough. I have bought some proper fleece from a fabric shop, but I have not cut it or even wicked it yet as I want to use the other 6 fleeces I have.

I have a small machine, but no tumble drier as I don't have room.

I think the max load I have is 6kg as there are only two of us, and I don't know what weight the liners would be, especially when wet.

I don't want to break my machine...I remember my mother damaging her machine years ago by washing a quilt that was too heavy when wet for the machine to deal with.

Thank you, JordanAimee I have been wondering if the fleece I have is good enough. I have bought some proper fleece from a fabric shop, but I have not cut it or even wicked it yet as I want to use the other 6 fleeces I have.

That's alright :) The proper fleece should be fine as well :) the only fleece i ever had issues with was a supersoft one which wouldn't wick so i gave it to the dogs instead. I'm taking a break from fleece like I said because my bunch of hooligans don't get on with it, but i did love the look of it ! Spoilt pigs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back