• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

fleece issues

cavycorner

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I recently decided to switch to fleece bedding for my pigs. Unfortunately it’s quite hard to find fleece where I am, but I found polar fleece throws at Kmart. I think they are similar to ones from Walmart and Joanns (if you are American, I’m from Australia) It’s 100% polyester. I have now washed them a total of 4 times and they are not wicking. For the first 2 times I washed them in just water, on warm setting. The third time I washed them with laundry powder which is dye and perfume free, and on hot water. And the 4th time I washed it on warm water with 1/2 cup vinegar and a sprinkle of laundry powder. I have heard that wicking fleece should only take about 3 times, so I’m quite concerned that it’s never going to wick. Any suggestions on what I should do? I’m not wanting to use bleach or laundry detergent and I can hand wash. Has anyone used Kmart/reject shop fleece throws successfully? I really feel wasteful in using all this water in the machine, so quick tips or hand washing wick tips would be so appreciated. Should I just keep washing it? Would vigorous hand washing help remove the water barrier? Thanks

It sounds like you’ve done the right things.
It might be worth just trying it in with the piggies with the absorbent layer underneath (puppy pads etc) to see if it works differently with urine/absorbent pads

It sounds like you’ve done the right things.
It might be worth just trying it in with the piggies with the absorbent layer underneath (puppy pads etc) to see if it works differently with urine/absorbent pads
thankyou for the reply, I might just give that a go. I’m just concerned for UTI’s if it doesn’t wick properly, but again urine is different.

thankyou for the reply, I might just give that a go. I’m just concerned for UTI’s if it doesn’t wick properly, but again urine is different.

I’d only do it on a day when you can be around with them. It wouldn’t take long to see whether it is wicking properly or not, so they needn’t be sat in wet pooling urine as you can watch and remove if it isn’t working

I’d only do it on a day when you can be around with them. It wouldn’t take long to see whether it is wicking properly or not, so they needn’t be sat in wet pooling urine as you can watch and remove if it isn’t working
Good idea. At what point do you think I should give up with the fleece (After so many washes, like 5 or 6?) if it just isn’t wicking after testing?

Back