• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Fluctuating Weight

dabel101

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! I think I'm worrying over nothing but my guinea pigs weight has been fluctuating. Two weeks ago she weighed in at 936g then last week she was 925g and now she is 915g, i also dont weigh them at the same which i probably should. Could it have been that i weighed her on a full stomach on the first week because it was right after her veggies. I might be worrying over nothing but thought id ask incase! x

This is within normal fluctuation levels. It could be down to empty/full bladder/tummy etc. Definitely get into the habit of weighing at the same time. Keep an eye on her and if she continues to drop and past the point of normal fluctuation then book her for a vet check
Weight - Monitoring and Management

Mine tend to vary a little - usually +/- up to 30 grams a week, which I consider normal.
What you are aiming for is a general picture in the long term.
For example Ruby can be anywhere between 1030 and 1070, so if she is within these limits I don't worry.
If she goes above or drops below I tend to weigh again mid week just to see if there is a trend up or down, but it usually flattens out within her normal range again.
Either that or one of the kids confesses they have been over indulging with the treats a bit!

I think anywhere between 900-940 seems to be where she is between. So i will consider anything between here normal from now, and keep a closer eye if she stars reaching outside these zones.
Does that sound ok? Thanks agains x

Yep. 50g loss is the point at which you become concerned so do keep an eye on her closely for the immediate future just to be sure.

Back