• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fungal infection from being damp - itchy piggy

Mm9

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! I thought I'd post here in the hope someone might be able to help. My 3 year year old girl has a bad fungal infection. She's been dipping her chin so much in the water that she's given herself a fungal infection from the skin being wet. I treated her with topical ivectmin and I'm currently putting clotrimazole on the fungal site. She's constantly itching though and has a raw patch from itching. I tried bandaging her but she clawed at them and got her claws stuck in the fabric! I don't know what else I can do for her :(

@Mm9 Please take her to the vet for appropriate medication. They can also prescribe something for the itching.

What water does she have access to that she can dip her face in? Could it be from drooling, which is a sign of dental issues?

i am planning on taking her to the vet in the next couple of days. It's from a water bowl that was secured to the side of the cage. The dampness in definitely from the water, her teeth are absolutely fine. I'm just concerned about keeping her out of discomfort in the time being as she keeps scratching.

i am planning on taking her to the vet in the next couple of days. It's from a water bowl that was secured to the side of the cage. The dampness in definitely from the water, her teeth are absolutely fine. I'm just concerned about keeping her out of discomfort in the time being as she keeps scratching.

Please be aware that ivermectin is for mites and not fungal; it can only suppress the symptoms in a fungal infection but not cure. Have her seen by a vet as soon as you can and do not treat on spec as that is making any diagnosis much more difficult for the vet.

Do not discount the aspect that the wetness on the chin could be caused by overgrown premolars at the back or oral thrush in the mouth which can both cause a wet chin from drooling. Ask your vet to check the mouth and especially the back teeth!

I would also strongly recommend to reconsider your drinking arrangements and to switch to drinking from a bottle.
All About Drinking And Bottles

Back