• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Fungal treatment help if possible!

MollyB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I'm having a mild panic about my guinea pig's skin problem because I can't really get to a vets, but after some research on here and the internet generally (he has flaky skin and fur with flakes attached) it seems he has a fungal infection. Here's the plan, please tell me if I'm incorrect or missing anything:
- Use Nizoral anti-dandruff shampoo for 5 minutes and wash away (it's arriving tomorrow all going well)
- Use Canestan 1% on bad patches (I have this upstairs)
- He can have calpol but I'm not sure if that's right or if he needs it?
- Should I somehow completely nuke the hutch clean before he goes in? As in, wash anything he's ever touched?

Thank you so much for anyone that can help reassure me, I feel really awful that this may have been his problem all along, even after vet visits 😥

You really need to consult a vet first to check the diagnosis. If it turns out that it's not fungal then the treatment you are looking at might disguise what the problem is making it harder in the long run. I know it's hard at the moment with closures etc but call the vet and see what help they can offer. They may have you send photos by email and offer a consultation over the phone or you might be able to take them in for an appointment

Thank you @Lady Kelly. We went recently and they said it was a dirty gland so we cleaned it and we thought it helped with the fur loss but the flaking on the back is not any better. Our vet was not helpful... :(

Thank you @Lady Kelly. We went recently and they said it was a dirty gland so we cleaned it and we thought it helped with the fur loss but the flaking on the back is not any better. Our vet was not helpful... :(
I agree that he really does need to see a vet for a proper diagnosis.
Does he have a companion, and is his companion showing any signs of skin problems?
Have you looked at the vet locator in the green bar at the top of the page. This will help you find an experienced guinea pig vet who should be able to help.

Thank you @Swissgreys, I'm just freaking out a bit because it's been going on so long and I hate that it wasn't sorted. They even did tests! :( I'm in Kent and there doesn't seem to be one here? Is there anywhere else I can check? :/

Thank you @Swissgreys, I'll give them a call in the morning. Should I not shampoo him anyway just in case maybe?
It is far better to wait and speak to a vet first.
The problem with applying any form of treatment, cream, or washing is that is may mask the symptoms, and this just makes it much harder for a vet to diagnose.
Even if it offers some short term improvement it is better for a vet to prescribe a proper treatment that will get rid of the problem long term.
I hope you get it sorted.

Hi there, I've got an update if anyone can give me some feedback:
Via email, the vet prescribed an evomectin syringe. They said that after the coronavirus is over, they'll get a skin test.
My concern is that he's had that syringe before and I'm very concerned that it won't make a difference because it looks more like a fungal (flakey) infection than a parasitic (sore and scabby) infection. Do I just do as instructed and see what happens or am I okay to try and treat him with the fungal shampoo? I don't want him to have to suffer for longer, but also, I don't know better than a vet... I'm just looking for reassurance I think. I can upload some photos if anyone thinks that'll help but I understand if it's not really necessary. Thank you! x

Back