• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig attack

Bean_piggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello one of my guinea pigs attacked the other on her ear and she's bleeding quite a bit what can I do to help her? Should I give her a lukewarm bath to rinse the blood off her fur? Please respond quickly!

What is saline solution? Unfortunately this happened at 2:30a.m and I won't be able to take her to the vets

Apply pressure to the wound as a priority to see if that stops the bleeding.
You can then clean the wound with saline - Salt and warm water solution. The guides I linked in explain. Be careful to ensure no water gets into the ear
We can only give general advice as we don’t know anything about the nature of the wound or the amount it is bleeding, but If the bleeding is excessive and isn’t stopping with pressure then it will become urgent that she sees a vet

How is your piggy doing now?
She's doing better I cleaned her ear with water and had to give her a lukewarm bath cause the blood wouldn't get off her fur, I wrapped her in a towel and blanket to dry her and keep her warm, my other piggy is doing okay and the piggy who got attacked is doing better thankfully the injury wasn't as bad as I thought it was

I’m pleased it wasn’t as bad as you thought. Are they still living together? If they have had a blood drawing fight their bond might be broken. I’d keep a very close eye on them. Make sure any hides have two exits so they can’t corner each other in them.

Ears are quite fleshy, like humans they tend to bleed quite profusely. Glad she is doing ok now, keep a keen eye on her for a day or two x

I’m pleased it wasn’t as bad as you thought. Are they still living together? If they have had a blood drawing fight their bond might be broken. I’d keep a very close eye on them. Make sure any hides have two exits so they can’t corner each other in them.
I re-did the bonding process with them and they both seem to be friends again like they had forgotten what had happened I think this little fight must've happened due to boredom so I'll try to take them out more often than what I usually do and buy them new toys/hides and continue to monitor them more often

A Blood drawing fight might spring up again in the future. I would be very careful to watch how they interact moving forward.
Please have a backup plan in place if/when another fight breaks out.

Normally once blood is drawn they have made up their mind. Good luck and godspeed.

A Blood drawing fight might spring up again in the future. I would be very careful to watch how they interact moving forward.
Please have a backup plan in place if/when another fight breaks out.

Normally once blood is drawn they have made up their mind. Good luck and godspeed.
Alright thank you I'll figure out what to do next if that happens, let's hope it doesn't 🤞🏼

If your piggies are bored I suggest putting a few chew toys into there cage. These can also help them to fill down there teeth

If your piggies are bored I suggest putting a few chew toys into there cage. These can also help them to fill down there teeth
Please don't waste your money on so called chew toys.
Guinea pigs rarely use them, and they certainly do not file down their teeth.

Good dental condition is achieved by offering unlimited amounts of good quality hay.

If you are after enrichment ideas please take a look at this thread.
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Please don't waste your money on so called chew toys.
Guinea pigs rarely use them, and they certainly do not file down their teeth.

Good dental condition is achieved by offering unlimited amounts of good quality hay.

If you are after enrichment ideas please take a look at this thread.
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs
Okay thank you!

I would not have suggested trying them again together after a confrontation that ended in blood being drawn. Whatever caused it is likely still there so it’s a good idea to keep a very close eye on them. If something happens again you will unfortunately have to separate permanently.

Piggies don’t do toys nor do they play with them. It’s also unlikely that the lye ration was due to boredom. Cardboard boxes with doorways cut out, carrot cottages, wooden bendy bridges, toilet rolls stuffed with hay or a paper bag (handles cut off) stuffed with a treat and hay are good and cheap entertainment for them.

@Guinea lover 1982 hay and grass are what keep their teeth at a suitable level. Chewing on cardboard or wood doesn’t make a difference I’m afraid.

I would not have suggested trying them again together after a confrontation that ended in blood being drawn. Whatever caused it is likely still there so it’s a good idea to keep a very close eye on them. If something happens again you will unfortunately have to separate permanently.

Piggies don’t do toys nor do they play with them. It’s also unlikely that the lye ration was due to boredom. Cardboard boxes with doorways cut out, carrot cottages, wooden bendy bridges, toilet rolls stuffed with hay or a paper bag (handles cut off) stuffed with a treat and hay are good and cheap entertainment for them.

@Guinea lover 1982 hay and grass are what keep their teeth at a suitable level. Chewing on cardboard or wood doesn’t make a difference I’m afraid.
Okay thank you for suggestions!

Back