• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig broken bone?

Distinction

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Basically, I was holding my guinea pig then I got squirted with water (unintentionally) and the pig jumped from my arms and landed on the floor, she ran and then I picked her back up and examined her and she seemed fine, just shocked. I then carried her out back to the cage and when I got near it, she leaped from my arms and landed on concrete and then I took her back inside and held her and examined and she seemed fine once again just even more shocked. Then we put her in her cage and she kept like moving her head weirdly so we waited till the morning and she was eating and walking around slower than normal but we also have stairs that she goes up and down to which she waits at the top or bottom for a while before going either up or down. She also stopped turning her head in the morning so we are thinking whether its just bad bruising? Plus we can't take her to the vets, 1. we don't have enough money for x-rays etc 2. Someone in our household is vulnerable to Covid-19. Its also hard to tell whether she is in pain or not.

Basically, I was holding my guinea pig then I got squirted with water (unintentionally) and the pig jumped from my arms and landed on the floor, she ran and then I picked her back up and examined her and she seemed fine, just shocked. I then carried her out back to the cage and when I got near it, she leaped from my arms and landed on concrete and then I took her back inside and held her and examined and she seemed fine once again just even more shocked. Then we put her in her cage and she kept like moving her head weirdly so we waited till the morning and she was eating and walking around slower than normal but we also have stairs that she goes up and down to which she waits at the top or bottom for a while before going either up or down. She also stopped turning her head in the morning so we are thinking whether its just bad bruising? Plus we can't take her to the vets, 1. we don't have enough money for x-rays etc 2. Someone in our household is vulnerable to Covid-19. Its also hard to tell whether she is in pain or not.

Hi!

I am very sorry for what has happened.

Unfortunately, you piggy really needs to see a vet as soon as possible! Any internal damage (including bleeding) and damage to the spine that is not an outright break can manifest hours or a couple of days later but they are not any less devastating.

Vets have a social distancing protocol in place that doesn't involve any direct contact: COVID-19 - Vet visits/emergencies during coronavirus/Covid-19 lockdown

Please do not carry a guinea pig in your arms; especially not a scared one who is freaked out enough to blind jump.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

Here are tips on how you can look after a guinea pig that is not well but all your support care cannot replace a necessary vet trip and any necessary medication: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

:agr:
Please have your piggy seen by a vet.
I understad that money may be tight, but talk to your vet about a possible payment plan - until you go you don't know what it will cost, and in the meantime it is not fair to allow your piggy to suffer if she has an injury.

To be honest, I think i got off incredibly lucky as she is showing zero sighs of pain and she is still eating drinking, barging other pigs out the way, basically just acting normal. I'm thinking whether she was/is just bruised or not

I would take her to the vet just for a once over. They wouldn’t X-ray unless they thought it necessary.

Back