• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Eye Infected/Bulging

GP1603

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi my guinea pig is 4 years old and today I discovered she has excessively pooped all over her cage. And her eye is bulging and sticking out of her head, it’s red and looks very sore and i’m very worried about her. I have booked an appointment with the vet however she had some hair loss issues just over a week ago. I assumed this was to do with vitamin deficiency. What should I do? I read this may be a treatable eye infection but it looks like it’s really bad that I am unable to even recognise her eye and whether she can actually see out of it or not:-( 274A00CE-ED5F-4EC9-9EE6-DF25C86DA285.jpeg47BB612D-A562-40A4-9CEE-BB479131CFC2.jpegC0CB797F-8F35-489E-AA0F-9FD4178FE9AD.jpeg5E5CD068-51FB-421E-93D0-BFF42C070148.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.
The best thing you can do is get her to a vet as an emergency. When is your appointment?

This is now an emergency as eyes can deteriorate very quickly. I would ring your vet if you appointment is not today and tell them what has happened so they can bring them in asap

Hi my guinea pig is 4 years old and today I discovered she has excessively pooped all over her cage. And her eye is bulging and sticking out of her head, it’s red and looks very sore and i’m very worried about her. I have booked an appointment with the vet however she had some hair loss issues just over a week ago. I assumed this was to do with vitamin deficiency. What should I do? I read this may be a treatable eye infection but it looks like it’s really bad that I am unable to even recognise her eye and whether she can actually see out of it or not:-( View attachment 94140View attachment 94141View attachment 94142View attachment 94143
Omg this is hard to look at without feeling weird. Vet asap as others are saying

they said to bring her in at 6.30pm. is that too late? i don’t know what to do :-(
Thats good. Its the best thing you could have done. Now just wait to see what the vet has in mind to do. If its to have the eye taken out. It isnt much of an issue. Guinea pigs have bad eye sight anyway. They get around with their wiskers and brilliant sense of smell. Members on here keep blind guinea pigs that i have seen in person. And they are happy , lively animals still. Just dont leave the eye like it is

they’ve now managed to squeeze her in at 5pm, there is a lot of hair loss around her eye.image.jpg

they’ve now managed to squeeze her in at 5pm, there is a lot of hair loss around her eye.View attachment 94144
Hair loss will likely be from where she has been repteadly wiping it.the discharge dries and the pig will just wipe the hair away. Same happened to one of my old pigs who had chronic uri's.

Welcome to the forum & i agree with the others to make sure the vet sees you immediately, it could be a nasty hay poke or an abscess behind the eye, whichever it's probably painful for her :(
make sure you get her some pain relief too.

try & get an earlier appt than 6.30 if you can, but if not that will be ok, but if you drip some boiled cooled water on it just to keep it moist & hopefully wash off any bits of hay or debris that are stuck on the protruding eyeball too.

she may need surgery but the vet may try drops first.
hope she gets on ok & please keep us updated. healing vibes for your poor little poppet. xx
oh 5pm - lots better well done for pushing it. this i think will be classed as an emergency. xx

Welcome to the forum & i agree with the others to make sure the vet sees you immediately, it could be a nasty hay poke or an abscess behind the eye, whichever it's probably painful for her :(
make sure you get her some pain relief too.

try & get an earlier appt than 6.30 if you can, but if not that will be ok, but if you drip some boiled cooled water on it just to keep it moist & hopefully wash off any bits of hay or debris that are stuck on the eyeball too.

she may need surgery but the vet may try drops first.
hope she gets on ok & please keep us updated. healing vibes for your poor little poppet. xx
oh 5pm - lots better well done for pushing it. this i think will be classed as an emergency. xx
Good info

I was in similar situation but with one of my hamsters, Ben, and I took him to the Exotic Pet Vet immediately. One of Ben's eye becmae foggy, with white residue covering it and it was bulging out.

The vet gave him medicine by mouth and eye drops and I had to continue with his medicine for 2 weeks. The vet told me to come back if Ben did not improved after 2 weeks. Administering his medicine by mouth was easy but administering eye drop was next to impossible. I managed to put some eye drops in his eye though.

Everything cleared within a week and Ben is fine now as though nothing happened to him. Here is a photo of my Ben as happy as ever. Ben is now 2.5 years old and this happened when he was 2, so about 5 months ago.

Ben, my happy boy.
IMG_0064.jpg

I’ve now placed her in a cardboard box ready to take her to the vet at 5 and have noticed that she’s scratching her eye a lot. She has this wooden toy in her cage which I think could have been the cause to the wound...image.jpgimage.jpg

I forgot to add that my Ben repeatedly rubbed his infected eye prior to my taking him to the vet. I should also mention that not only was Ben's eye bulging out but it was super red also.

I reacted quickly and took him to the vet as soon as possible. After the vet administered the eye drop and medicine by mouth, Ben seemed to calm down and stopped rubbing his eye.

I followed through with the vet's order and continued with Ben's medicine, and I am glad I did. As you can see from the photo, my Ben is as happy as he has always been.

Back