• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

WinterAddams

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My dad handled my piggie badly and it fell from a considerable height. I dont think she hit her head anywhere but I'm not 100% sure because it happened very fast. I histerically picked her up and tried seeing if she had broken something but she was moving fine. She's been eating and running around just fine. No limp, no head tilting no refusal to drink.
If she had hurt herself would the symptoms be immediate? I'm extremely worried.

I'd be tempted to nip her to the vet for a health check. Whether she has physical sign of injury or not she's likely to be suffering some pain so a pain relief might be beneficial

Would your parents take them to the vets for a check over?

:agr: Piggies hide their illnesses and pain very well. Better to have a quick check and some pain relief.

There is no way to guarantee she will be without getting her checked by the vet. They hide pain well and can go down hill very quickly. With a fall it's always best to get them checked over by a vet.

There is no way to guarantee she will be without getting her checked by the vet. They hide pain well and can go down hill very quickly. With a fall it's always best to get them checked over by a vet.
My dad says she'll be fine and we can't take her to the vet because our car broke down and we don't have a way to take her. They don't understand that guinea pigs are fragile and are not dogs. I don't know what to do...

All you can do is keep a close eye on her, any changes from her normal self then you will have to ask your parents again. You could always show them this forum and the advice you are being given?

All you can do is keep a close eye on her, any changes from her normal self then you will have to ask your parents again. You could always show them this forum and the advice you are being given?
They're screaming at me telling me I'm ruining their holidays. Nothing will change their minds... She has a little injury on her lip. I'm worried...

If she's hurt her lip its possible she could have knocked her teeth. How do her front teeth look? Please explain to your parents that they have a responsibility to provide vet treatment for your pig, as I am assuming you are a minor? I hope that they will listen, sending healing vibes to your girl. I hope she doesn't have any other injuries.

I dont remember her having this yesterday
If she's hurt her lip its possible she could have knocked her teeth. How do her front teeth look? Please explain to your parents that they have a responsibility to provide vet treatment for your pig, as I am assuming you are a minor? I hope that they will listen, sending healing vibes to your girl. I hope she doesn't have any other injuries.
Her teeth seem fine... I am a minor yes. Yesterday my dad screamed at me like never before and told me horrible things. I tried telling him we should take her to the vet but he started saying the same things again. They said vets only want money. Our car broke down and I'm feeling hopeless. They just won't listen. If i tell them they have the responsibility they'll just tell me that they didn't buy the guinea pig.

I'm sorry you are in this situation. For now all you can do is keep a close eye on her. Clean her lips with a slight salt water solution and keep an eye on her eating and drinking.

I'm sorry you are in this situation. For now all you can do is keep a close eye on her. Clean her lips with a slight salt water solution and keep an eye on her eating and drinking.
Just salt and water?
What symptoms should I keep in mind?
She's been hiding and walking like usual but I'm scared something might have happened. I wish my dad never picked her up...

Mix 1 teaspoon of salt into 1/2 pint /250 ml of boiled cooled water to make a saline solution which can be used to clean her cut.

Keep an eye out for a decreased appetite, not eating, drop in body weight, not drinking, lethargy, change in her poops.

Mix 1 teaspoon of salt into 1/2 pint /250 ml of boiled cooled water to make a saline solution which can be used to clean her cut.

Keep an eye out for a decreased appetite, not eating, drop in body weight, not drinking, lethargy, change in her poops.
For now she seems fine. She's eating and drinking and seems to be fine. That's why they say she's fine and doesn't need to go to the vet. I've only had her for two months...

Fingers crossed she is ok, just keep a close eye on her.

Back