• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Has Scurvey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoraxPiggers

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I took my Guinea pig to the vet about a week or two ago and the vet said my Guinea pig was fine. Though my Guinea pig is balding on either side of her body, less active and is coughing,sneezing and making a strange wheezing sound when she tries to squeak(the coughing sneezing wheezing is off and on)
The vet didn't diagnose her with anything yet he did say to give her these vitamin c drops in her water
I also am starting to give her salads with Apple lettuce carrots and bell peppers in the morning
From the symptoms I thought I may be scurvey, what do u think? Should I try another vet?

I would definitely try another vet if that one hasn't diagnosed your piggy or provided any medication. Coughing and sneezing are symptoms of URI which can be fatal if not treated. Balding on the sides of the body sounds to me like your sow may have a hormonal issue or even cysts I believe cause that balding. Is she spayed? Vitamin C drops in water are next to useless. They deteriorate quickly and can affect the taste which may turn your girl off of drinking the water at all. Get in touch with an exotic or piggy savvy vet, for now monitor your girls weight closely and be ready to step in with a syringe if she goes off her food.

Hi!

Where abouts are you based? If you click on your profile and add your location, this will help us tailor any information based on what you have available in your area.

I definately think you need to see a different vet- your current one doesnt sound very piggy knowledgable at all. There is a vets locator at the top of the page, that could help you find a more suitable vet in your area.

Coughing/wheezing are symptoms of an upper respiratory infection, which can be fatal if left untreated. If you manage to find a piggy vet nearby, please call and arrange an appointment with them sooner rather than later. They should be able to advise you on the best course of action for his skin too.

X

I took my Guinea pig to the vet about a week or two ago and the vet said my Guinea pig was fine. Though my Guinea pig is balding on either side of her body, less active and is coughing,sneezing and making a strange wheezing sound when she tries to squeak(the coughing sneezing wheezing is off and on)
The vet didn't diagnose her with anything yet he did say to give her these vitamin c drops in her water
I also am starting to give her salads with Apple lettuce carrots and bell peppers in the morning
From the symptoms I thought I may be scurvey, what do you think? Should I try another vet?

Hi and welcome!

Please try another vet. Balding on both sides can also point towards obvarian cysts.
Guinea Lynx :: URI
Guinea Lynx :: Hair Loss
Guinea Lynx :: Ovarian Tumors

The wheezing etc. needs to be check for whether it is a bacterial respiratory infection (URI) or a response to dust or pollen (allergic) or dry air from a a/c unit, depending on where you are based. It would be good if you please added your country, state/province or UK to your details, so we can tailor any advice to what is really relevant and available where you are in view of the forum having members and enquiries from all over the world. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location.
We have got a recommended UK vets locator on the top bar, but can provide a link for recommended vets in some other countries.

If it really is an ovarian cyst would a vet be able to remove it? The Guinea pig is 4 years old is it too risky to do the surgery on such a small animal?

Also I live on Staten Island, is there any cheap good vets that take Guinea pigs?

If it really is an ovarian cyst would a vet be able to remove it? The Guinea pig is 4 years old is it too risky to do the surgery on such a small animal?

Also I live on Staten Island, is there any cheap good vets that take Guinea pigs?

These are the vets that I found recommended on Guinea Lynx for New York: Guinea Lynx Records :: Topic - Veterinarians: New York

With a good vet, surgery at that age should not be a problem. My Cariad had an emergency spay at a similar age and recovered just fine. However, finding a cheap AND piggy savvy vet in New York is pretty impossible, from what I have heard from a couple of local piggy.

Hormone injections can be an alternative to a spaying operation, but again, you won't be likely to get them via a general vet. :(

Ok thanks for all the help, do u know how much operations go for? Just for a guess? This is my first pet that I'm responsible for and she hasn't had any problems before this so I'm pretty new to things like this.

Just btw she has a swelling on either side of her body where the balding is

I have no idea about the prices in New York but, I recently had Tilly, who is 4 and a half, spayed and it cost me around £100 here in UK, including all medication.

Ok thanks for all the help, do you know how much operations go for? Just for a guess? This is my first pet that I'm responsible for and she hasn't had any problems before this so I'm pretty new to things like this.

Just btw she has a swelling on either side of her body where the balding is

If her abdomen is swollen and protruding on the area of baldness- she could well have barbered the hair herself due to internal pain.

Please see a vet tomorrow, you will need to call around and find a piggy savvy vet that you can travel to. Your girl needs treatment.

Good luck x

I would definitely see another vet, as the vet you saw didn't have any ideas and there is obviously something going on. What has she been eating up to this point? Scurvy is caused by a lack of vitamin C. Has she been getting fresh fruit and veggies or a vitamin C fortified pellet feed?

I'm in Canada, so I know it can be hard to find a vet with guinea pig experience in North America. You are likely to have the best luck looking for a vet that treats 'exotics' (guinea pigs, though pretty common, are typically classed as an exotic pet.) If you can't find a vet with ton of experience with guinea pigs, at least look for one with good rodent and rabbit experience. Hope this helps and best of luck in finding a good vet!

As for veggies previous to the vet visit, romaine lettuce 1-2 times a week and any other fruit or veg such as carrots, bell peppers 1-2 a month.
I'm reconsidering scurvey becuz I have a younger pig (2 years) who does not have any problems with the same diet.
As for the vet I'm doing my best to convince someone in my family to take me since it's too far to walk or take transit with a Guinea pig and I'm too young to drive, thanks for everyone's help it really means a lot to me

Well done for trying to work out how to get her to a vet.
It can be difficult when you don't drive.
Good luck sorting it out, and I hope she is feeling better very soon.

As for veggies previous to the vet visit, romaine lettuce 1-2 times a week and any other fruit or veg such as carrots, bell peppers 1-2 a month.
I'm reconsidering scurvey becuz I have a younger pig (2 years) who does not have any problems with the same diet.
As for the vet I'm doing my best to convince someone in my family to take me since it's too far to walk or take transit with a Guinea pig and I'm too young to drive, thanks for everyone's help it really means a lot to me

Your piggy isn't getting enough vitamin C you need to make sure all your piggys get 1 cup of veg a day each, it needs to be a variety of veg also.

Here is the recomendations for a balanced guinea pig diet

Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

However pigs still get vit C from pellets so i dont think this is your problem. Have you been able to find a piggy savvy vet you can get to?

Xx

I found a vet office that takes Guinea pigs called northside on Staten Island, good reviews but I couldn't find a review on Guinea pigs, anyone hear anything about northside?

I found a vet office that takes Guinea pigs called northside on Staten Island, good reviews but I couldn't find a review on Guinea pigs, anyone hear anything about northside?

@Wiebke seems to know vets where you are i'm sure. I cant help on that front i'm afraid. How is your little doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back