• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pig in the night

Small clip on bowl. Shame they can't use a bird water feeder, as they don't have a ball in. Maybe they could if you found one with a wide enough base bit on.x

You could try a ferplast sippy bottle that has a lever rather than ball. I tried it once because I thought they would be easier and cleaner for both me and the pigs but none of mine would use it. They would however keep brushing past it and letting the water out

One of my pigs is a serial bottle attacker and it disturbs me in the other bedroom, with a shower room in between! I swap their bottle for a bowl overnight now. It’s always a bit emptier in the morning and they have little wet chins!

I dont have a picture but i'll do my best to explain it.
I have a midwest cage- I hang a towel over one side and put the water bottle over it. It reduces the banging. I tried using a water bowl once and the piggies decided they wanted to flip and play in it :xd:
1547583246083.png

When I first gave them the bowl, I'd literally just got them home. So they had their little hidey place, and I placed the water bowl next to a small bowl of pellets, some hay and some veg, within easy reach from their hidey entry. That way they never had to venture far if they didn't want to and the bowl was right there next to the food - it meant emptying it and refilling it more often, but it got them to associate it with their food.
They always preferred a bottle and I got a couple of glass bottles for them within a couple of weeks which they were happy to use again, but if for any reason I couldn't have the bottles out they always had a bowl instead. And they did drink from it...not much, but I'd see Comet standing on the edge of it (a non-tip bowl in the end, he's probably the daft one that tipped it originally). They're not always going to "get" it overnight, but I imagine they'd get at least a bit curious as to what this random bowl in the middle of their cage or run is. Using a bowl might seem a bit strange to us but it's more natural really for them than using a bottle would be.
That's great that they used it. I tried to have my bowl places under the bottle but no such luck. I also tried to remove the bottles and see if they would drink from the bowl but they didn't :( I love your story, thanks for sharing :)

Small clip on bowl. Shame they can't use a bird water feeder, as they don't have a ball in. Maybe they could if you found one with a wide enough base bit on.x
You mean like a bird feeder bowl?

You could try a ferplast sippy bottle that has a lever rather than ball. I tried it once because I thought they would be easier and cleaner for both me and the pigs but none of mine would use it. They would however keep brushing past it and letting the water out
I bought that also and no such luck. They did the same thing :D It was weird to them :D

One of my pigs is a serial bottle attacker and it disturbs me in the other bedroom, with a shower room in between! I swap their bottle for a bowl overnight now. It’s always a bit emptier in the morning and they have little wet chins!
I also have two agressive bottle drinkers. Try to imagine having that in the room with you :/ Did they drink from the bowl right from the start?

Sorry the piggies keep you awake but look on the bright side- the waterbottle rattle is the least noisy thing my herd find to do at night! The carrot cottage crunching is the most unnerving, but if they go quiet I wake up in a panic and rush downstairs to see if they are ok :) I always sleep with all the doors open so I can hear my piggies, maybe I'm just weird but I sleep better knowing they are playing happily!

I dont have a picture but i'll do my best to explain it.
I have a midwest cage- I hang a towel over one side and put the water bottle over it. It reduces the banging. I tried using a water bowl once and the piggies decided they wanted to flip and play in it :xd:
View attachment 104735
Thank you for the picture :D How much was the cage? :) I guess I could also try it, since they really love the attack the bottle :D
I've attached a picture of my cage :D

Attachments

• IMG_20190115_213437.jpg
    IMG_20190115_213437.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 4
Sorry the piggies keep you awake but look on the bright side- the waterbottle rattle is the least noisy thing my herd find to do at night! The carrot cottage crunching is the most unnerving, but if they go quiet I wake up in a panic and rush downstairs to see if they are ok :) I always sleep with all the doors open so I can hear my piggies, maybe I'm just weird but I sleep better knowing they are playing happily!
I know but they are just too loud :) No you're not weird, that's adorable. Try to imagine your guinea pig drinking the bottle with their teeth and then pulling it away and banging on the cage in the night right next to your ear :D

I also have two agressive bottle drinkers. Try to imagine having that in the room with you :/ Did they drink from the bowl right from the start?
Yes, they watched me fill it and came straight over to check it out. Two definitely use it. Not sure about the third, but it’s there and they get the bottle back in the morning!

Yes, they watched me fill it and came straight over to check it out. Two definitely use it. Not sure about the third, but it’s there and they get the bottle back in the morning!
I'll try that tonight and hopefuly it'll work :) Thanks :)

It's funny how different people are affected by different noises. I actually love the noises my pigs make, I find it odd when I sleep at my boyfriends and there's no animal noises, but he hates sleeping at mine because of the pigs and hamster 😂😂

It's funny how different people are affected by different noises. I actually love the noises my pigs make, I find it odd when I sleep at my boyfriends and there's no animal noises, but he hates sleeping at mine because of the pigs and hamster 😂😂
You have a hamster in your room? :) Doesn't it bother you that the wheel is loud? When I had a hamster I couldn't sleep and he was outside my room :D I guess you're a heavy sleeper :D

Actually an interesting thing happened. I put the bowl inside the cage and the loud piggie went to it and started biting the corners. She knew that water was in there and she didn't know how to drink from it :D I guess that's a good sign :D

If my two went quiet they were up to something, guaranteed. Usually the quiet would be followed about ten minutes later by some exceptionally loud excited squealing as they attempted to dominance hump each other, fell off, then chased each other excitedly all around the cage. Daft eejits the pair of them.
As for the bowl, if they're investigating it, that's at least a step forward. Do you use glass or plastic water bottles? I personally think the plastic ones rattle more loudly than the glass.

If my two went quiet they were up to something, guaranteed. Usually the quiet would be followed about ten minutes later by some exceptionally loud excited squealing as they attempted to dominance hump each other, fell off, then chased each other excitedly all around the cage. Daft eejits the pair of them.
As for the bowl, if they're investigating it, that's at least a step forward. Do you use glass or plastic water bottles? I personally think the plastic ones rattle more loudly than the glass.
I know what you mean, that's happening to me also from time to time ☺️ one piggie decides that she wants to be in charge and sadly she never gets to be ☺️
Yes, it looked like good sign. I use both and they both seem noisy, the plastic ones a little less. But when the piggies decide to be loud it doesn't matter which bottle it is 😁

I know what you mean, that's happening to me also from time to time ☺️ one piggie decides that she wants to be in charge and sadly she never gets to be ☺️
Yes, it looked like good sign. I use both and they both seem noisy, the plastic ones a little less. But when the piggies decide to be loud it doesn't matter which bottle it is 😁

My two were pretty evenly matched. I think Comet was the more dominant one but he never really threw his weight around. I think the two of them adored each other too much to care.
I'd continue to try and leave a bit of food around the bowl, get them going to the bowl even if it's just to eat at first. Piggies are adorable, but it can still take several attempts before they get the hint.

My two were pretty evenly matched. I think Comet was the more dominant one but he never really threw his weight around. I think the two of them adored each other too much to care.
I'd continue to try and leave a bit of food around the bowl, get them going to the bowl even if it's just to eat at first. Piggies are adorable, but it can still take several attempts before they get the hint.
That's good, nobody wants to see piggies fight. Let them love each other 😍
I'll try it. I agree with you ☺️ is it possible that that's because they have the nose and mouths too close together and they can't drink properly?

Back