• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pig in the night

You have a hamster in your room? :) Doesn't it bother you that the wheel is loud? When I had a hamster I couldn't sleep and he was outside my room :D I guess you're a heavy sleeper :D
Basically I have like a petition wall in my room which has been made to be a "walk in wardrobe" and she's in a large diy cage in there. Her wheel isn't actually that noisy and I think the fact she's not in a metal barred cage reduces like the general noise of her being awake at night 🤣 The worst noise with her is when she has a destructive mood on and decides to chew away at everything wood in her cage 😭

That's good, nobody wants to see piggies fight. Let them love each other 😍
I'll try it. I agree with you ☺️ is it possible that that's because they have the nose and mouths too close together and they can't drink properly?

Nope. It's entirely possible/feasible/etc for them to drink from a bowl, the difficulty is that if they've never used a bowl to drink from, they don't necessarily understand that's what it's for. Think of it the opposite way - if they'd drink from a bowl, not a bottle, it's probably because they didn't have an older caretaker to show them how a bottle works. They can still do it, but they have to learn how to get water from this metal spout they don't recognise.

Thank you for the picture :D How much was the cage? :) I guess I could also try it, since they really love the attack the bottle :D
I've attached a picture of my cage :D
Well in america they are very cheap. 30 dollars each! You can connect more than one too! I hope you don't feel like you have to get a new cage! Good luck xx

Basically I have like a petition wall in my room which has been made to be a "walk in wardrobe" and she's in a large diy cage in there. Her wheel isn't actually that noisy and I think the fact she's not in a metal barred cage reduces like the general noise of her being awake at night 🤣 The worst noise with her is when she has a destructive mood on and decides to chew away at everything wood in her cage 😭
Wow that's amazing 😍 would love to see that if you possibly have a picture 😀
I know what you mean, I have to also take out the wooden houses in the night because they love to bite it in the night 🙂

I know its probably not very helpful but I have a husband who snores... I use ear plugs which help massively! Worth a try? I get mine from this place: Snorestore

Just be careful doing that, regularly wearing ear plugs to bed significantly increases your chance of developing tinnitus.

Nope. It's entirely possible/feasible/etc for them to drink from a bowl, the difficulty is that if they've never used a bowl to drink from, they don't necessarily understand that's what it's for. Think of it the opposite way - if they'd drink from a bowl, not a bottle, it's probably because they didn't have an older caretaker to show them how a bottle works. They can still do it, but they have to learn how to get water from this metal spout they don't recognise.
I agree with you, thank you for the description 🙂
I hope mine will get used to the new bowl in the night ☺️

Well in america they are very cheap. 30 dollars each! You can connect more than one too! I hope you don't feel like you have to get a new cage! Good luck xx
That's very cheap 😮 I love them but I also would not trade the cages because they love the two deck appartment 😂 they love running up and down 😀

Just be careful doing that, regularly wearing ear plugs to bed significantly increases your chance of developing tinnitus.

Thanks for this. At risk of hijacking this thread...why is this? I’d not heard that and I do use them most nights!

Thanks for this. At risk of hijacking this thread...why is this? I’d not heard that and I do use them most nights!

I think it's something about the buildup of earwax that earplugs cause, being a potential tinnitus cause.

The pressure of the ear plugs combined with the lack of noises, our brains create noise when there is little notice, when this process is repeated it can cause permanent damage.

My mum has tinnitus, she has been told by the audiologist not to sleep in earplugs or wear them for an extended time or her tinnitus will also become worse. They said over use of earplugs is becoming a common cause of tinnitus.

The pressure of the ear plugs combined with the lack of noises, our brains create noise when there is little notice, when this process is repeated it can cause permanent damage.

My mum has tinnitus, she has been told by the audiologist not to sleep in earplugs or wear them for an extended time or her tinnitus will also become worse. They said over use of earplugs is becoming a common cause of tinnitus.

That is really interesting thank you. Sleep v tinnitus! Thank goodness for a spare room.. Thanks!

That is really interesting thank you. Sleep v tinnitus! Thank goodness for a spare room.. Thanks!
I have a better suggestion. Get your husband an anti-snoring nose clip or other mouth things for anti snoring.

Personally I've always used a bowl for my pigs. I understand that people have hygiene concerns but my girls bowls honestly don't get too dirty. I change it at least twice a day, there is usually some hay dropped in and very rarely a poop. But just remember, they eat their poop! I do change it as soon as i spot a poop in there but its really not too much of an issue. And of course poop soup is often recommended for assisting gut health during illness too! I actually feel that changing a water bowl twice a day can be cleaner than bottle spouts that might be left longer in between changes. This is in no way a criticism of water bottles, i just wanted to reassure others that i feel using a bowl is absolutely fine.

Personally I've always used a bowl for my pigs. I understand that people have hygiene concerns but my girls bowls honestly don't get too dirty. I change it at least twice a day, there is usually some hay dropped in and very rarely a poop. But just remember, they eat their poop! I do change it as soon as i spot a poop in there but its really not too much of an issue. And of course poop soup is often recommended for assisting gut health during illness too! I actually feel that changing a water bowl twice a day can be cleaner than bottle spouts that might be left longer in between changes. This is in no way a criticism of water bottles, i just wanted to reassure others that i feel using a bowl is absolutely fine.
Thank you, that was very helpful and informative. I didn't know that poop soup is good for tresting ilness. What is it good for?
I'm really trying to get the to use the bowl, hopefuly they'll start using it 🙂

Thank you, that was very helpful and informative. I didn't know that poop soup is good for tresting ilness. What is it good for?
I'm really trying to get the to use the bowl, hopefuly they'll start using it 🙂
I'm certainly not an expert and have not needed to use it for my pigs, so if i get this wrong I'm happy for anyone to correct me! But i believe its used to help pigs that have diarrhoea/ upset digestive systems and if a pig is put on a course of antibiotics some owners will syringe poop soup as a precaution against tummy upset because of the antibiotics. And its basically poop (ideally fresh and from a healthy pig) mashed up in some water.
Hope you find a water bottle/ or bowl solution that you and your piggies are happy with!:)

I'm certainly not an expert and have not needed to use it for my pigs, so if i get this wrong I'm happy for anyone to correct me! But i believe its used to help pigs that have diarrhoea/ upset digestive systems and if a pig is put on a course of antibiotics some owners will syringe poop soup as a precaution against tummy upset because of the antibiotics. And its basically poop (ideally fresh and from a healthy pig) mashed up in some water.
Hope you find a water bottle/ or bowl solution that you and your piggies are happy with!:)
Thank you, I'll try to do that if they'll have tummy problems ☺️ I also hope that yes ☺️ thank you for your help 😀

I tried a bowl with mine once...never again, it turned into a paddling pool and toilet within about 2 hours. They thought it was great..me..not so much. :yikes:

Thank you, I'll try to do that if they'll have tummy problems ☺️ I also hope that yes ☺️ thank you for your help 😀

I'd just like to add that if it comes to a point you're using poop soup for your pigs, you need to use the poop from a healthy pig. Using the poop from your ill guinea pig isn't going to help.

Back